My Background

Sunday 9 June 2019

Running for Hannah, Run #2 (A - The Air Run) and Run #3 (N - the KNight Run)


Yesterday was time for the next two parts of the Running For Hannah Challenge. Runs "A" and "N" were both down by the towpath in Walton-on-Thames with Phoenix Running, where I did my 10 in 10 a few weeks ago. It was my first time back there since, and I've missed everyone, so was excited to be going back!

The runs are six hour events, where you can run as many laps of the 5 km route as you like. As I am spelling out HANNAH in ultra marathons, this meant I must run 9 laps for each one, which is 29.5 miles each.

In hindsight, I had neglected to prepare very well for today. I love Phoenix events so much, and I love being there with everyone. Even on tough runs, everyone is so supportive that it makes you feel so safe and looked after, that I feel I can get on with it and do it anyway. I've never done 2 ultras in a day before, and I knew it would be hard, but I just kind of thought I'd be alright, because I would be at Phoenix, so hadn't given the mental side of things much  of a thought. I felt physically quite well recovered from the hundred as well, so I thought it would all be alright.

Which it was in the end, but it was really tough! It started well. It was so good to see so many of my running friends at the start, and time passes quickly catching up. Soon it was time for the walk to the start line, which as it was the D-Day 75th AIR Run, to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings, the walk was in silence with poppies along the way.

After the start, I felt good for the first couple of laps. My legs felt good, I was looking forward to a full day of running, I thought of Hannah and knew why I was doing it, and felt focussed. All good! Then on lap three, I had quite a sudden and dramatic falling apart. Literally within about 100 metres, my legs suddenly felt heavy, I realised I was only on lap 3/18 for the day, I felt all out of power. Then my mind, which has been quite well behaved of late, decided to join in as well, and everything turned from being all good, to being all bad, within about a minute. The next 7 laps were a challenge, I just couldn't get my mind to break up the remaining 17 laps of the day into 17 x 1 laps. I felt tired, useless, and totally out of my depth. But then, this is a challenge, and I had a job to get done, and I knew I had to do it. Thanks Andrew for running with me the whole way and for sharing your sweet stash! And to my Phoenix family for your smiles and waves and chats on the way round. And Rik and the marshalls for taking good care of us all. I completed 'A' in 5:05, which left 1:25 before the start of 'N'. I was really panicking, as I felt pretty bad by the end and I knew I would be slower for the second one, so was really worried I was going to get timed out, and wouldn't be able to do the ultra, which would ruin my challenge. 

I tried to keep a rational mind, and I knew the biggest problem I had was that I was really low on energy, and hadn't had a proper breakfast, or any proper food on the way round, and now I felt a bit sick, so eating something in between the races was going to be difficult, as there wasn't enough time to feel better, eat something proper, and start running again. I'd brought some fruits and bread, so ate a bit sat by the end. But then it was getting really cold. So decided to have a shower and get changed, which I think saved me! I felt totally different! Then I realized I hadn't needed a wee in about 6 hours, which was freaking me out. Then what freaked me out even more, was when I did wee, it was the colour of Iron Bru. It actually was. I thought my kidneys must have jacked it in or something. I thought I'd been quite careful with my hydration! But then I realised I also had a headache, so I can't have been that careful. I took some painkillers, but then immediately worried that if I was so dehydrated and had damaged my kidneys through being an idiot, then taking painkillers as well might just make things worse, and everything would stop working. I also realised I'd left my electrolyte tablets at home. Then I started to get really angry with myself. So I decided at this point it was probably best to leave the changing rooms, and return to other people, who were calm, and rational, and everything that I was not. 

The cafe was full of runners laughing and joking, was warm, and smelt of coffee. I suddenly felt a bit hungry, so managed a half a latte and half a bakewell flapjack, before I felt a bit sick again. Soon it was 3:45 pm and time to head to the start line of the KNight Run.

For reasons unknown, I felt better in the evening run than the morning one. Maybe it was having a bit more energy after half time snacks. Maybe it was a hot shower which helped my muscles. Or maybe it was now psychologically I was over half way for the days mileage (I do usually pick up after that point). Feeling slightly stronger, I decided if my mind was going to play games with me, then I would play games with it. Two can play at that game, and all that. I was going to conquer this lap issue that had been bothering me all morning, and I was now doing 9 x 1 laps, NOT 9 laps! I was still worried about my timings, but I worked it out in my head how long I could spend on each lap to still be in the cut off time, and checked in after each lap so I could keep track, and actually inform my emotions rather than letting them run away with thoughts not based on anything, and end up in a mess. I also paid more attention to what I should eat and drink after each lap and spent more time at the aid station each lap working on that, as I knew that energy and hydration would be the things that would stop me if I didn't pay attention to them. I have come to realise that with eating/ drinking and dealing with blisters, time invested in doing a good job pays off in time you will save by continuing to move well!

After lap 3, I celebrated with the rest of the latte and flapjack and some fruit. The rest of the run was powered by watermelon, grapes and oatcakes. Oh! And plenty of pink cups of pink 'rose/gin' squash each lap - thank you Jen and Jenny! Cheers! 

The weather was odd today. It was quite humid, but so windy. The eastbound route on the towpath is quite sheltered by trees, and the trees were swaying and whooshing about in the wind up above, but on the path it was quite sheltered. I finished before it got dark, but I like that time when it starts to get dusky and the light changes, and you've been running all day, and the wind was still whistling up in the trees....

As it turns out, I finished in plenty of time, 5:24, so my strategies must have worked. Despite the challenges, today was fun in that I caught up with lots of friends, and also made some new ones too. Thank you to everyone who listened to me talk about my challenge, for your support, and your generous donations. I am lucky to be a part of this running family! Thanks Rik and the marshalls for another day of super events by the river!

Total miles today was 59 miles, which is the 4th furthest I've ever run in a day in my life, which I only realised afterwards, and potentially goes some way to explaining why I found it so hard! There were times when I doubted myself today, but I'm pleased that I (eventually, anyway) managed to control my thoughts, and get the job done. I know the reason for my challenge, and I will not be defeated! Victory at all costs! (as my Dad likes to quote).

Or, to add my favourite Churchill quote to the mix:


So HAN of my Running For Hannah Challenge is complete!


And my next Running For Hannah Challenge run is in two weeks, the Norfolk 100 km...

No comments:

Post a Comment