My Background

Thursday 11 September 2014

Poppies

Yesterday I went for a last run in London before I have to migrate north for the winter today (yes, that is the wrong way).





It was very warm and very sunny, and I will miss it tons and more. But I will not dwell on this point, as the summer has been the best. In the wise words of Dr Suess, who I consult in moments such as these "Do not cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." And so, let us smile from ear to ear, and remember "Today was good. Today was Fun. Tomorrow is another one". 

My watch, I think anticipating the colder weather, has given up with the whole idea of working. And so, as with many things, if you want it doing properly, you might as well do it yourself, so I have returned to measuring my runs by hand (/computer).

I ran down to the River Thames, which I have enjoyed running alongside a lot recently, and over London Bridge to the south side, and then east to Tower Bridge, to return to the north side and back home. Imagine my surprise on seeing this!



The bridge! It's open! I am stuck in the south! How do I return to the other side!!! Filled with doubt, I grasped the break in proceedings to rest against the wall and take some snaps and gather my thoughts. 

The moment passed (as all tight spots do) along with the ship, and the bridge lowered, creating an opportunity to visit The Tower of London on the other side. There is an installation there at the moment, called "Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red". From 5th August to 11th November this year the artist /designers Paul Cummins and Tom Piper are installing 888,246 red ceramic poppies (one for each British military fatality in the First World War) around the moat of the Tower to commemorate the 100th anniversary year. The last one will be planted on the 11th November. So I supposed it's about a third of it's way to being completed. Already it is jerking to see visually how many there are already. 






A beautiful and haunting sight at the same time.

They are going to sell the poppies afterwards, to raise millions of pounds for six service charities: http://poppies.hrp.org.uk/about-the-installation







No comments:

Post a Comment