My Background

Wednesday 24 February 2016

Scared of the dark

Time for night training! Was totally looking forward to this all day on Saturday, so was a bit gutted to find it my toughest run in a long time (well, in at least two weeks). Total stinker of a run. My legs had as much energy in them as an empty sugar bowl, and my feet were as light as a sack of spuds. 

Apart from feeling pants, it was an excellent run. Down the canal to the Thames, left to Greenwich, under the foot tunnel, turn right and all along the south of the river to Tower Bridge, over Tower Bridge, back along the river to Limehouse and back up the canal.

Great to practice running in the dark. Along the canal was pretty dark. Especially dark, because my head torch didn't work. 

The world looks very different in the dark. Swans look like ghosts gliding through the water. Branches look like bony hands reaching out to strangle you. Bushes look like spectres in capes crouching in the dark waiting to pounce. And that was in London, where let's face it, it's not exactly dark, or even close, what with the millions of lights casting a warm glow all about the place. What's it going to be like in the middle of Dorset, in the middle of nowhere, in the pitch dark, at 1am? What type of ghouls will be lurking there??? Now (3 months beofre an overnight race) is probably not a good time to face the fact that I hate the dark. I can't even go to the loo in the night without switching on all the lights. Clearly, psychologically I need to man up, and focus on the actual pressing concerns of running in the dark, i.e. falling off a Dorset cliff/ tripping over an unseen root and breaking an ankle/ taking a wrong turn and doing 100 miles + 1 (or, quite probably, more).

I have to switch the light off and go to bed in a minute, so to take my mind off what might be lurking in the darkness (I always panic that my dressing gown is an actual person), here are some photos from the run....

A sportsman in his place:

Canary Wharf across the river:


New flashing trainers (thanks The Childs' family!):


Tower Bridge at night:


Good night
Sleep tight
Don't let the bed bugs bite.....

No comments:

Post a Comment