My Background

Sunday 30 April 2017

100 Miles for The Rosemere Cancer Foundation!


May is the best month. It has two bank holidays, thus two long weekends. Hurrah! I have just realised during the first one, that The 100 is on the second one, and that means that it's now only four weeks away.

Oh.


That being the case, I am going to divert my energy from worrying about it, to fundraising instead. I am going to be running The 100 to raise money for The Rosemere Cancer Foundation. 


Why?


Well, in November last year, we found out that my Mum had breast cancer. My Mum. My Mum who spends all of her time looking after everyone, and being kind, and making the world a nicer place. How dare it? I felt upset, furious and scared, all at once; a washing machine full of emotions on a fast cycle.


And it must have been a million times worse for my Mum, who it was actually happening to. But, my Mum is amazing, strong, and positive. Also, she checks herself regularly and so she found the cancer early and got it checked out straight away. Just a few weeks later she had had her surgery. Then she spent a few weeks going to the Rosemere Cancer Centre in Preston each day to be zapped with radiotherapy. Everything worked, and now she is back to being cancer free again. 


So the Rosemere Cancer Centre was a big part of my Mum's whole experience. As a family, we are so grateful to them for looking after my Mum, and so we want to raise some money their charity, The Rosemere Cancer Foundation, to go a small way to say thank you for their care. My Mum speaks really highly of the staff there, for the lovely way they treated her, and took care of her. And it's also things like a cup of free tea or coffee each day while waiting for treatment that make a difference, and help make what can be a scary time seem a little more comfortable and a little less stressful. The Rosemere Cancer Foundation makes all that possible, and funds research, equipment and training, to ensure that every patient's cancer treatment is as effective as it can be. It does loads and loads and is amazing!


Anyone that knows my Mum will know she has been incredibly positive about the whole thing. They will also know she is super active, and barely stopped walking at all during her treatment, and is now back to walking well over 20 miles again, and is planning longer things already!  I'm pretty sure that as well as all the great treatment she's received, the fact that she's doing so well must be down to how positive she is and how fit she is as well. I'm very proud of her! 


So, as a family, we wanted to raise some money for the Rosemere to say thank you. In keeping with my Mum’s approach to keeping fit by travelling long distances on foot, I decided to dedicate this years North York Moors 100 to her, and to raise sponsorship for the Rosemere along the (long) way.

If you'd be interested to take a look, my fundraising page is here:



http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/100milesforrosemere

Also - thank you to everyone who's sent well wishes my Mum's way - that's definitely helped too! 

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment