My Background

Tuesday 31 October 2017

50 days of running

After the excitement of the Great Ocean Road, we headed back to Melbourne. There's not a whole lot of anything exciting to report running wise, other than that Run Every Day While Away has reached being 50 days old.

Hurrah! 

Most if the time it's been a great excuse to run in beautiful places and to see a lot of things that I don't think I would have done, had I not gone out for a run. It has re-cemented (if that's a thing) my belief that running has always helped me explore new places, and strengthen a connection with The Great Outdoors. 

Of course, nothing is great all of the time, and so there must be days, like the last couple (hence my reflective mood) when going out for a run seems, frankly, a bit of a drag. But, it's important to remember on these days that it's very, very rare that you will actually come back from a run feeling any worse than when you went out. You might not feel any better, but then at least you can indulge for the rest of the day (or evening, if like me you've put it off all day) in that old saying that "you've done it, and now it's done". And, you will also have good reason to complain, loudly and at length, to anyone who will listen, at the great trial you have just put yourself through....

Day 50
My, Melbourne is busy. Having not learned from my recent mistake of putting off an early morning run in the countryside, and opting instead to run later once back in the city, I spent my 40 minute evening city run in a bad mood. Cursing myself for being a fool, the incessant sets traffic lights (which were every one red), countless cars, trams, noise and oppressive city heat that was pressing down between the buildings. It all felt unbearable. Once I'd fought my way to Carlton Gardens, there was a couple of laps of respite amongst the green and flowers, when things felt a bit less terrible...





...but of course you can't run around the park forever, so soon it was back to the incessant traffic, and my bad mood.

Day 51
I had big plans for this morning. I was going to explore the whole of the South Eastern part of Melbourne on foot. I had plans of an epic run, being out for hours, with a bag of supplies, frequent water stops in the hot sunny weather, of running through the botanical gardens and of reaching the beach and running along it barefoot, and basking in the sheer joy of it all.

I hadn't planned for Melbourne being so busy that we wouldn't be able to stay in the youth hostel that night, or in fact anywhere in the city that was less than £200 a night.  £200, yes. Our travel plans are all very tedious, and I mention it here only to explain the next part of the story, in that we had to check out of the hostel by 10 and move to a hotel by the airport.

So my epic Melbourne run had to finish before that. 

Oh.

I shortened my route somewhat to 18km, and set my alarm for 6am. 

The morning was grey and cloudy. The traffic jams continued. We ran down a loooong road full of roadworks to the river, which flowed, grey and sluggish through the city. We reached the edge of the botanical gardens, but couldn't explore because of the tedious deadline to get finished and get back. Then it was down some more roads and through more roadworks to the beach, which was also windy and grey. And then turned round, and ran back through the greyness. 

It was one of those times where what I had imagined was really a lot better than the reality turned out to be. Maybe sometimes you just get yourself into a bad mood, and can't see past that, so things look different to perhaps how they really are. And maybe sometimes things just are different to how you imagined them. But there you are.

Day 52
Early flight = early run (following through with promise to self not to keep leaving my run until later). First person in the gym on the top floor of the airport hotel - hurrah! 20 minute treadmill run watching the planes land was quite exciting really, and I never thought I'd say that about a treadmill run.


No comments:

Post a Comment