My Background

Tuesday 21 November 2017

75 days of running = the end of my trip!

I hate the saying "all good things must come to an end." Why? But annoyingly I have to admit that on this occassion it is true; as my travelling adventure has come to an end!

It's been an adventure for sure! 77 days ago I left home (what was left of it, amongst all the renovations going on, which are still going on, but that's another story), feeling unsure about a lot of things going on in my life, and not even sure in fact if I should even be going away on a trip this long... surely it was a foolish idea. But I'm so glad I did! I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to go away for this length of time, and to have been able to go to all the places we have. 

The day after we arrived in Sydney, Andrew and I did our first run, and I've run every day since, 75 in all (which pleasingly is by coincidence a nice round number to finish on).

So my trip finished back in Perth (thanks again Paul, Yan and Hunter for looking after me) with a 13 mile run along the river on day 74 of Run Every Day While Away, and a 10 km along the river on day 75. I love the path by the river here, it's a peaceful place to be...



I will miss running out here, I've certainly run in a lot of fantastic locations! If you are thinking of coming to New Zealand or Australia - I recommend you do it. And come to both! And I wasn't paid by any tourist board to say that, it's true!

It's also been great to catch up with so many friends...I actually hadn't realised until I came out how many of my friends live here!

But, I am looking forward to going home, apart from the weather, obviously. It's 26oC here today, which is 'cool' for Perth in late November. BBC weather reports that London tomorrow will have highs of 12oC. But that terrifying fact aside, I am looking forward to going back and seeing family and friends, and Andrew again (who abandoned me 2 weeks ago), to seeing what's been going on, for Christmas, and to see what things lie ahead...

With running, I'm going to have a couple of days off. I've loved the challenge of running every day, but I feel I need some different challenges now. I'll keep running, (of course!) but I plan to have a couple of run free days each week so I can incorporate other exercises in as well. I've been planning my race calender for December and next year....40 more marathons/ ultras and I'll reach 100, which is my next big target, to be a full member of the 100 Marathon Club. Now I finally feel I'm over the NYM 100 miles, I've decided not to do any more 100 milers next year, but focus instead on marathons to 50 milers, which don't seem to destroy me quite as much. I'll definitely do another 100 miler at some point, but what's the rush?

And on that note, I am off to pack my trainers (which have only got one hole from the trip) ready for the journey back (I wonder if anyone's ever run a marathon on a plane?) and more UK running adventures...

xxx

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure. Thank you again for sharing it all with us through your blog. You certainly made the most of every minute and I would imagine you have enough photos and stories to keep us entertained all over Christmas (and beyond).
    And yes, it is a daft saying. Only some good things come to an end, a tasty meal, great holiday etc, but they are replaced by other equally good things. What's that other saying "one door closes but another one opens. Mum & dad xx

    ReplyDelete