My Background

Monday 2 May 2022

The Milton Keynes Marathon - 02.05.2022

 

I really loved today, MK Marathon day! A lovely day in Milton Keynes - nice and warm, but not too warm, and nice and sunny, but not too sunny.

It's really a big event (marathon, half, relay, 10km and fun run), and haven't done such a big event for quite a long time. I do like a big city marathon, the atmosphere is really special.

Starting just outside the MK Dons stadium, there was a big buzz at the start. Lovely to see some familiar faces milling about amongst the crowds and have some pre-race chats with Alan, David, Steve, Rachel, and Simon.


The route is a big circle around Milton Keynes, and really, you wouldn't really know you were anywhere near a town at all (apart from all the roundabouts), it's mostly along lovely green paths, and around the lakes. Tourist highlights included running past the Peace Pagoda, the concrete cows, Roman ruins, and Great Linford Manor. I loved the route (and recognised a few places from running round there with Alan!) The support all along the route was fantastic, and the route was exceptionally well marshalled! I loved the signs in the way around, often concrete cow themed "moooooove it", and also "pain is bread in French" and "don't whine, they will soon be wine" amongst many others....

Ran most of the way with Andrew (congrats on road marathon #10!!) and also saw Theresa and Neil on the way round, which was fab.



I had a good run, and I thought I would push it a bit as I was feeling good, but not stress out about it, because what's the point in worrying and getting stressed? Ended with 3:47 which I'm super happy with. Well done to everyone, super performances!

I loved the finish in the stadium, it's like the MK version of Athens. Nice time afterwards catching up with Alan, and watching people cross the finish line - it's such a buzz watching people finish a marathon, and feeling so proud of everyone! There was even a man dressed as a cow running! 


The journey home was a bit epic - 3 mile walk, rail replacement bus, train, tube, and a walk, but it was definitely worth it! Thanks MK Marathon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment