My Background

Monday 29 August 2022

Phoenix Running, Denbies double marathon weekend - Retro Sunday RunDay (28.08.22) + Ready, Teddy, Go (29.08.22)

Retro Sunday RunDay Marathon (marathon/ultra #234): Sunday 28.08.2022

Met Sarah on the early train, to head off for a weekend adventures at Denbies, my favourite vineyard (not that I know that many vineyards, but even if I did, it would still be my favourite). 

It was a Social Sunday Funday and I ran with Sarah and it was brilliant fun, running, walking, and chatting the way around. Thanks Annabel, Sophie, Steve, Matthew and Danielle for all the chats and smiles. Congratulations to Danielle on your 50th marathon (and for your amazing giant cookie!). We also met Luna, a beautiful blue merle border collie puppy.

Denbies loop is quite hilly (about 2500 ft in a marathon) and I love the hills, as it means we can activate the Marble Rule - if a hill is steep enough that a marble rolls down it, you can walk up it! Luckily, we had emergency marbles, so we got into a our little rhythm of the walking the ups and running the downs.

Sarah and I focussed a lot of our discussions today on food, covering topics such as dinner parties, custard, and plans for a special chocolate torte. We employed our Shrimp and Pretzel Strategy to good effect, with a half way ice lolly thrown in, and a lap 5 Freddo.

We tried to continue our Bible Lessons, but didn't really get further than water into wine (being in a vineyard), which having had a look in to it, I found an altogether more uplifting story that the salt one from Friday. Plus, this saved us from thinking about grape puns until at least lap 6, which I think we can all be thankful for. 

Denbies is so so so beautiful!






At the furthest point from the start was "Mr Tree With Arms" who is a very good looking tree.



This is followed soon after by "Droopy Sad Tree" who is missing a head and isn't looking quite so chipper.

Afterwards, it was time for a picnic with Tara, who had kindly brought home made Florentines, and a lot of good stories!


Ready, Teddy, Go (marathon/ultra #235): Monday 29.08.2022

A run with a Phoenix Teddy for all finishers, made by the very talented lovely Mandy!


Today Sarah, Andrew and I ran the marathon together, and with Craig for 7 laps too. We talked total nonsense and laughed around the whole thing, and I think my core muscles are hurting more than my legs do. Peaches, cherry wine, how long Sarah's bucket list is and what may or may not be on it, Pot Noodles, and the best technique walk up a hill, is I think all that is appropriate to write down really. What is said in a vineyard, stays in a vineyard, and all that. 


 

Congratulations to Lindsay for running your 100th marathon, and Steve on 250 half-marathons in 250 weeks! And good to see Tara again who popped by on the Harley! 

Thank you so much indeed to Rik and Team Phoenix for completely wonderful weekend! 💛❤💛

No comments:

Post a Comment