My Background

Friday 24 February 2023

Chasing Numbers Four Seasons Run, 50km with Saturn Running, 24.02.23

A nice Friday run, by the Thames in Staines, although it wasn't quite Seville, I have to say. 

It was quite sunny to start (which was like Seville), but from about half way, it drizzled and then started raining hard (which was not like Seville at all). And I was missing the Seville crew, Sarah and Andrew.

I was privileged to have a Lovelock Lap for lap 1. Then ran with Dom for a couple more laps, and it was fab to have some catch ups with Kasia, Ellen, and Annabel, and see lots of familiar faces out. 

Apart from the rain, it was decidedly spring like. I spotted yellow and purple crocuses, daffodils, snowdrops, and lots of cherry blossoms. So lovely. 

As is traditional on the Staines route, a swan tried to intimidate me, but I was having none of it.

On the subject of birds, I like to find out about the places I run, and whilst reading, I found that Staines was home to All Alone. All Alone was a war pigeon, who was parachuted into France with a spy in 1943. She then flew back to her home in Staines, 400 miles away, in under 24 hours, with the information the spy collected. And for this, All Alone was awarded the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross. 

The pigeons on the river today were much less focused, were flapping around all over the place, and two were even having a flight.

I ran 50km in 4.57, finishing just as it stopped raining and went back to being a nice day.

Nice to catch up in the brewery afterwards with hot drinks in proper big mugs (as my lips had gone Smurf Blue).

Well done runners! And thank you Saturn for a fun day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment