My Background

Saturday 25 March 2023

Tiaras and Tutus with Phoenix Running, 29.5 miles, 25.03.2023, Sarah's 300th Marathon!

Events are always fun, but the Tiaras and Tutus event was the very best of fun! It was the celebration of Sarah's 300th Marathon, and Rik had designed especially the medal and theme. Spot the shrimp and pretzel!


The event was at Walton on Thames, and in order to do an ultra, I stayed over last night in the Travelodge, so we could start early and be finished in time for celebratory chips and chats in the Weir pub (thank you Sarah for starting early on your big day!) I had a small disaster in the morning, when I realised there were no mugs in the room, and no one around on reception. Running that early without a coffee is not an option that I was willing to consider. McDonalds (round the corner) also wasn't an option, as it didn't open until 06:00. After a little panic, I was struck by a stroke of genius (well, not genius, but at least quite impressive for me at that time of day), and used my hot/cold proof water bottle, to mix it all up, and voila! Morning coffee!

Lifted by my little caffeine boost, I was able to focus on getting my outfit together, and met Sarah. We started off at about 07:30, and did 9 laps on the eastbound route, the one that goes through Sunbury Lock. I like this one, but the towpath was muddy in the extreme - some might even say it was TUTU muddy! And others might say that we may have looked a mess (vest), with tiaras and tutus, but dirty (muddy) legs and feet. 

There were some fabulous outfits out indeed, and the whole day was filled with laughs and chats. Even the incessant rain cleared off after a downpour at the start! The daffodils were in full bloom, the blossom was out, and the pom-pom cherry tree at the lock was a picture. 




In keeping with the medal theme, we fully embraced the Shrimp Strategy (and pretzels) each lap, with a (just over) half way Freddo. Thank you Dom for our extra bonus boxes of shrimps!

Afterwards, it was chips time with friends in the Weir, and also celebratory chocolate torte time (thank you, Sarah!)


Congratulations Sarah! You are so very amazing indeed! 💯💯💯

Well done to all, and thank you Rik and Team Phoenix for a brilliant day! 💜💗💙 (and thank you Rik and Chris - I stole some photos!)


Question: is it acceptable to wear a tiara in day-to-day life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment