My Background

Tuesday 14 November 2023

Remembrance Double Marathon weekend

We Will Remember Marathon with Saturn Running, on 11.11.2023

This event was at the Lee Valley White Water Centre, which is not very far from our house at all, and so it was nice to just have a short and easy journey to the start.

I love it here, and have not run here for a few years, and it was so nice to be back, running along the paths and trails, by the water and through the autumn colours. The weather was outstanding. Imagine!! Bright blue skies and sunshine, and chilly but nice to run in once you'd warmed up. The autumn colours of the trees was just beautiful against the sky. 

The route was 6 laps for a marathon, including a first lap of northern abuse (aka encouragement) with James. There was also a two minute race freeze at 11:00, with it being Remembrance Day, where everyone stopped, and the park fell silent. 

I enjoyed the run, and felt happy just running along. Its funny, I think, that although you are moving so much when you run, that you can feel so still and calm inside your mind when you are doing it. I suppose that it is quite a meditative process, and I am reminded on days like this how helpful I find it and how much better it makes me feel.

It was great to see many running friends out, and thanks Saturn Running for a great event! 


Remembrance Marathon with Phoenix Running, on 12.11.2023
A not so sunny day, by the River Thames! Although, all things considered, the weather really wasn't even a tiny bit as bad as it was meant to be.

This was a huge event, about 400 people doing the half marathon (two laps) and marathon (four laps). It is built around the 2 minute race freeze at 11:00, which is a very special and beautiful moment to be part of.
The sun actually almost came out for eleven, and the bells were ringing half muffled beforehand, so it was a reflective and peaceful atmosphere. 

I find this route difficult, especially the part through Hurst Park, which seems to last for million miles, and the stones are too sharp 😆

But it was the best day, and it was fantastic again to see so many running friends out and about. Had some good chats and catch ups, and it was a brilliant day all around. 

Thank you Sarah for our chat-athon! And according to Facebook, this weekend was our 5 year friend-versay! Chat X 5 years! 

My first ever Phoenix events were 7 years ago almost to the day, which was also my first double marathon event weekend....I just re-read my blog about it ( here ) and I have loved it since my very first event!

Thank you Rik and Team Phoenix!


No comments:

Post a Comment