My Background

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Marathon #8: the made-up one

Just to clarify for all those people who say I am mad, there were no suitable proper marathon races this weekend so I had to make one up! I have called it 'The Putney Potter'.

The advantage of this madness is that you can start the run when you like. Which is useful during the hottest week in recent times! So, 7am start anyone? Surprisingly, my parents (who have come to offer encouragement and refreshments) and Andrew (who is even madder to run his second ever marathon as not even a proper one) all agree! So, it's up at 5am...

The start. Fairly unglamorous at the traffic lights by Putney bridge at 7am on a Sunday, but who needs glamour, really, when you have a goal, a passion to get there, and like minded people around you? We are here to run a marathon, so let's go!

 

It's nice and cool to start with and it was worth getting up early to beat the heat. I love this run so much, it's one of my favourite places, anywhere. So we start in Putney and run along the Thames path to Richmond, one lap of Richmond Park and then back again, to finish by Fulham Palace:

My Mum and Dad have been very kind and carefully arranged to meet us at two places, first at 8 miles and then again at 17 miles, to cheer us on and top up water bottles and sweet supplies. here they are in action:

Very good. And they both claim they don't like running.

As I've been struggling with bad headaches after the last few marathons, I am trying especially hard today in the hot weather to drink more. Following advice from my running guru Susie, I am trying out some new electrolyte tablets in my water for the first time (which is exactly what you shouldn't do on a race that matters, but luckily I like them and they seem OK). I actually feel much better for them, maybe it's psychological but I feel more thirsty and keen to drink them more than water. I chose strawberry lemonade flavour. Andrew said it tastes pink. So?! At least it's not BLUE! I boycotted blue powerade (well, there was none left in the shop) but this backfired as the red one is even more vile. Really. Never thought it possible. But got us through the last few miles I suppose. Still, bleugh. 

So really the whole run was beautiful. I enjoyed the whole thing and didn't have a bad moment the whole way around. This was the same route I did back in March, when I had a terrible run, and can't believe how different it feels today! 


I think the differences between this time and last time are 1) having someone to run with the whole way around 2) being fitter/ more accustomed to the distance than last time 3) the weather, no rain, nice and warm! 4) drinking and eating better 5) knowing I could do it on a really bad day, so if could do it then I could do it anytime 6) not being ill beforehand 7) having nice people cheering you at well place points 8) having nice people run the last few hundred meters with you and take photos!


Only thing I need to change are my trainers, my feet are ruined by the end! Still, who cares, blisters heal, and that is marathon # 8 - DONE!!!


Off to celebrate with roast chicken and apple pie and wine, while the sun heats up! Perfect Sunday :-)

1 comment:

  1. WELL DONE BOTH OF YOU. Another one down, 5 more to go! Have to say this was a very good race to spectate / support at, we enjoyed it as much as you did.
    The Thames Path is very pretty from Putney to Ham House, one day we may try and walk the whole length!
    The estate Agents window in Richmond high street was an eyeopener! How much to rent a property - £7995.00 a month???? How does anyone afford that!!! Glad I live "up north".
    Richmond Park confused us a bit but despite doing a bit of a loop we got to the 2nd meeting point 5 minutes before you did. (just as well, we had the water mars bars and cake - (not forgetting the "powerade" which you like so much!). had we missed you we may have been forced to eat the supplies. As it was Gregs served up a very nice sausage roll.
    Hope the new trainers (which you told me you have ordered) see you comfortably through the final 5 marathons. Think the supplier should do you a "BOGOF"!
    Mum & Dadxx


    ReplyDelete