My Background

Sunday 4 August 2013

Blisters...

...so much for the new trainers! This had better be a breaking in period. 

Wed: nice run home after a rubbish day reviewing accountability logs. Am going to miss running home through London past all the famous landmarks. But then I suppose I won't miss the commute on the tube for all the days I don't run home! 9.6 miles, done.

Thurs: 5 miles before work. Felt really awake that early which is unusual! Wanted to keep running, in the general away direction of work, but, got to be done I guess. And wine tasting tonight with Becca and Hilary! I think red wine is good for your heart. Well, a bit is maybe. Nice to relax and catch up :-) Am inspired by the general fitness enthusiasm of out little group - Becca has joined a gym and Hilary has just done the 'Welsh 3000s' - 15 peaks in 24 hours! Amazing! Looks completely impossible and mad and I want to do it too. Interesting, I'm pretty sure that I must feel a bit awful for some parts of some runs, but even if I remember there being some bad bits, I don't think I remember how bad, and my overall memory never involves and discomfort. Hilary said that the same happened for her challenge. And  I remembered a book I read once about running, and our brains are sort of wired forget any discomfort experienced from exercise. When our ancestors were living out in the open and they would have to travel continuously sometimes for days and days on end to hunt and gather food, it wouldn't be a survival advantage to remember the next day the discomfort experienced the day before. So our brain protects us from it, so we could carry on. 

Fri: Rest. Not sure about the red wine hypothesis. I've found that drinking even a little bit makes me feel so tired if I run the next day. Travel to Hurley Riverside Park campsite for the weekend!


Sat: morning 5 miles run along the river before granola breakfast in the van


with a friendly Robin!



I really love you River Thames! I am sure that not all of it is really this beautiful, but so much of it is so idyllic, and even the bit through central London is great to run along, so much going on, easy to see why a city was built around it. Wind in the Willows is set around here! Mr Toad, hello! The perfect place to mess around in boats.

Sun: 2 hour run along the river again, past Marlow, when I'm rich I'll buy a second house here definitely. Maybe Toad Hall. BBQ lunch at the Flower Pot Hotel, which is very pretty, full of stuffed animals, but is a proper little country pub with it's own fat little dog :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment