My Background

Friday 28 March 2014

The Heptonstall Fell Race...is tomorrow...argh!

Since getting home I have.....been for a run, had lunch, done washing, tidied my room, prepared for Mother's Day (everything is under control), rung the hairdressers, checked out train times for tomorrow, packed my bag for tomorrow, looked at the route for tomorrow, rung the doctors (OK, reeeeally running out of things to do now).... I guess there is nothing for it, there are no distractions left, I have to do my coursework.

Oh no wait. I could write a blog! Ha.

I am worried about tomorrow. I am doing a 15 mile fell race. I have never done a fell race before. I am worried because:
1. Of the hills
2. I have never done one before, and well, you never know if you can do anything until you've done it.  So maybe I won't be able to. But I guess I won't know until I try it. 
3. Because you need to be able to map read and use a compass. I struggle reading even the tube map. But, you learn these things best under pressure, right? And, obviously I'm not going to be at the front, so my plan is to map read perfectly (of course), and my back up plan, is to follow the person in front.
4. What if I'm too far behind the person in front to see them? I suppose it's been raining so it's muddy, so I'll follow their footprints.
5. What if the person in front went the wrong way? Then I'm lost. But I suppose I'd be lost with the person whose footsteps I followed, which is better than being lost on your own.
6. I might break an ankle. Or a leg. Or anything really, it looks quite dangerous. And I don't think 2 weeks is long enough for it to heal before my ultramarathon. I am assuming it's called a fell race because of hills, not because people fell over.
7. I need to catch the 2.38 train to get home in time to go to my Aunty's birthday party, so I HAVE to finish in 3 hours. Which I think is doable, if only I don't get lost.
8. Fell runners scare me. They're all tall and wiry and bendy and fast looking. They're going to laugh at me.
9. The hills.

I think that's it. But on the plus side, this is my first race since the Spooky Halloween Challenge, over 4 months ago! It will be good to pin a number on again and get in the race spirit I suppose. Yes. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts.

And now I'm anxious as well because I haven't done any coursework yet. Better go.

This is the race:
http://heptonstallfellrace.wordpress.com/

Please keep your fingers crossed from 10.30 to 1.30 tomorrow. Thanks :-)




1 comment:

  1. Pleased to hear all under control for Mothers Day!!!
    Now about this race.
    1) You will be fine. Hills will be no problem, they can't be any steeper than the ones on the Lancaster marathon- even my car struggled on them and you did brilliantly.
    2) considering you ran 13 marathons last year and have done 2 x 35mile runs this year 15 miles will seem very short even if they have put Mount Everest in between the start and the finish.
    3) I know it says you need a map - have you ever seen a fell runner map reading whilst running? I'm sure you'll be fine.
    4) You have to get round in time. There is an Italian meal waiting for you!

    Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete