My Background

Monday 26 January 2015

Up!

Been a couple of weeks of ups and downs. Again. My record has broken. Blah blah blah. Blah blah.

I thought things were getting better, I could run 10km two days in a row with no bother. Well, I say that, it was painfully (literally) obvious that I haven't been training for ages. And people overtook me. People who were out for a leisurely stroll walking their dogs were practically lapping me. So I refer to my hip, not pride or anything, when I say there was no bother.

Then I had an epiphany. I started Zumba and Body Balance classes with my Mum. Body Balance is like yoga. It stretched all the bits I had been trying to with my physio exercises, but better and deeper, and to be honest, it kind of hurt, but a good hurt. The next morning I woke up and did my physio exercises, and normally where I could feel the pull in my hip, there was nothing. It was as if the injury had completely gone! Should have tried this months ago, and saved all this time and money!

A few days later I went for a run at my new weekday home (Mel's house :-) ) in Halifax. In hindsight (that old friend) it wasn't a great idea to go running up and down steep streets in the ice. But at the time it seemed the right thing to do. I knew after a few minutes I could feel something, but decided it would probably go away (hindsight....again....). By the time I got back it was quite sore, and the next day it was sore. I think probably because it was icy I was running slightly differently and was all tensed up, and because my problem is inside all the muscley bits, that probably didn't do it much good. I went back to yoga with my Mum though, certain that this would help. Too much enthusiasm though, may not be so great, as I think I then overstretched everything and woke up the next day even more sore.

Back to square one then. Hello square one. I feel we are getting to know each other. We're like BEST FRIENDS, we spend so much time together. I wonder if you like me, as much as I like you??

I spent the weekend feeling down again, and worried about it. Although, I got to go for two great walks with my Mum in the snow (my Dad did come for one, but he ran off - literally, now he's a runner).
  


But I was worried about it, and my Drs appointment to get my x-ray results was still almost 3 weeks away, and I didn't know what to do. Fortunately, even though I'm a grown up (by quite some margin), my Mum can still rescue me in a crisis, and recommended that I email the surgery to ask if they could let me know the results before then. Sure enough, first thing Monday morning they called me back, with the all clear! Woo hoo, hurrah, woop woop!!!!!!!!!

So that set my mind at rest, and in the next few days, it all settled back down. Tuesday I ran 4 miles, Friday 8 miles and Sunday 8.5 miles. Sunday I was in London running with Andrew (although he ran twice as far, not that it's a competition, or anything, not really), it was sunny and really quite warm, and I saw a flower. Winter has been quite dark at times this year, but maybe spring is on it's way! 



I think this symbolizes a new beginning. I'm holding out that the frost doesn't come back and and ruin it all. When something happens to you, even something small and not serious at all, it just shows how delicate our bodies are, like flowers! We must take care of them!

On that note, Dry January is almost finished, and it seems like a small cocktail may soon be in order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment