My Background

Tuesday 30 May 2017

I would walk 100 miles and I would (never) walk 100 more

I've just regained the physical and mental capacity needed to write, so this is just a quick post.  The 100, or what I've now come to know is more accurately the NYM 102.7 (and never has 2.7 miles seemed such a long way) is finished! 


It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done. Definitely not. In fact, it leap-frogged right to the top of most difficult things I've done, even replacing last year's Dorset 100 (which I've been reminded that at the time I confidently stated was the hardest thing I would ever do). But I've just been reminded (again) by Andrew (who successfully completed his first 100!) that whenever he says he's finding a run difficult, that I say that you don't do this because it's easy, but to rise to the challenge and prove yourself you can do something you initially think you can't. And what better time is there to eat your words than when you're so emotionally and physically wrecked that you can't stomach anything?



I've noted before that spell check corrects '100' to 'woo'. In this post, I've realised it also corrects '102' to 'wow'. Wow, really! That was worth the extra miles!



When the going got tough (which was the last 30 hours of the 32 it took me to do the thing) I thought of what the money we're raising was for, and if everyone could be so kind in supporting us through sponsorship, the least I had to do was finish the thing. We've raised over £600, but I refused to think that we had raised that much until I'd finished all of it. So basically, I was thinking that for each mile, we were raising £6...and that's how it went on...and on...and on...

...until finally, the magic mile 100 appeared! And then there was the small matter of the extra 2.7 miles at the end. And then finally, the finish! 

So......THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Here is the proof! My tally card, which I got quite attached to by then end (literally, by a piece of string) and emotionally (as here seemed so many checkpoints to get it clipped at):


And my finishing badge (funny what you will do for a badge):


I also found this in my finishing pack....


... a little bit soon to be broaching the subject of doing this all again? I can't even think about that right now. I can barely even think. 

So, I will write more when I have recovered enough energy to write more coherently.

Thank you again everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment