My Background

Thursday 25 May 2017

Two days to go the The 100 - time for a Kit Check

Every time I do an event like this, I'm always astonished by how much stuff I need to get. I mean, I spend most weekends out doing stuff like this, and always seem to have everything I need, so how come I get to looking at the event's Kit List, and suddenly need to get a load of new stuff? Also, as this has clearly happened many times before, how come I haven't learnt in advance that this is going to happen, more than a week before when I need it?

This year, for example, I've been happily running round in leggings that have got holes in them (a record of accidents involving, in no particular order of severity - brambles, falls, and stiles), but right before The 100 I decided that I absolutely must have a new pair, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it properly. 

And then there's the actual Kit List as well. There have been a lot of stern emails going around this week from the Organisers, regarding The Rules. I do feel a bit like I'm 12 again, doing D of E, and getting shouted at by teachers who are getting more and more annoyed by me. Still, I know they are saying this for a reason, in order to keep 500 people, and all the people helping them, safe over an extreme event. Gosh, I love how I'm doing an extreme event! Especially as it involves tea stops. That's my kind of extreme.

So, advice heeded, I have spent two evenings packing my bag, and maybe a few more sourcing (ahem, shopping) for essentials. New stuff : 
  • A collapsible mug - last year I didn't have a single drop of coffee the whole way round, which I think was a mistake. To be highly caffienated, I feel will be an advantage
  • A new compass - where the needle actually points to North, rather than whichever way it fancies. I genuinely hadn't realised how useless my old one that cost £1.99 was, which is worrying in itself I suppose. 
  • Electrolyte tablets - although, I can't believe I actually spent £14 on tablets that are basically made of salt. £14! Probably got a bit carried away there.
  • Mac-in-a-sac - a mac! In a sack! How exciting!
  • A new first aid kit - I'm confident of pretty much performing minor surgery with this lot. Watch out everyone!
  • A miniature pouch of sun-cream - actually, and I never thought I'd say this about a trip to Yorkshire, I'm a bit worried it's a bit too miniature. Looking at the forecast. 
  • A new survival bag - also useful for sitting on. Not that I plan doing much sitting. Of course not. 
  • A new map case - my old one got ripped when we had to climb over a barbed wire fence in the dark because we'd got lost.....yes you guessed it, in the Chilterns.
  • A new map! - after spending 4 evenings before the recce weekend plotting the whole route description on three separate OS maps, I discovered you could instead buy a special map, centred around the middle of the area, with the route marked on it. I resisted for a while, after all, that was 4 evenings of my life I was never going to get back, and I was reluctant to feel I'd wasted them. Eventually the thought of only having to carry 1/3 of the weight and not have to faff about in the middle of fields in the dark trying to find the right side of the right map won over, and I purchased the special map.
So, there it is. Bag is packed! I've checked the Kit List a trillion times and I'm sure I have everything. I hope so. There is a random kit check at some point on the way around, and if you're missing something, you get disqualified. Which would be quite gutting. So I'm just off to check again....

And to thank everyone for your sponsorship again! Yet more kind donations coming in. Almost £600!!!! I'm sure the money is used in all sorts of amazing things that the Rosemere does to battle cancer, but I always have 'cups of tea' stuck in my head. That's something my Mum mentioned a few times, being able to have a nice cup of tea after the journey to the centre and while waiting for treatment. Little things that mean a lot. And I'm pretty sure that what we've all raised together must be a lot of cups of tea for other people there. So, thank you :-)


Just off to check my bag again. 

1 comment:

  1. Now team luxury member which of the above is the "luxury"item ☺. Maybe sneak some chocolate coated coffee beans in? Could be a good back up in case the collapsible mug collapses at the wrong moment!! The very best of luck and, also from me, a big thank you to all the generous sponsors. Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete