My Background

Saturday 26 May 2018

A Right Royal Run & Richmond Park Marathon #73 & #74

By Saturday morning royal wedding fever had reached fever pitch. Lots of fever going on there. Sounds like time for a marathon....

....A Right Royal Run, no less. Despite being near Reading (that jewel in the English crown), the run had a subtly regal feel about it. The start atbWokingham Waterside Centre, which as well as serving an excellent cup of coffee (helpful if your golden horse-drawn carriage - ha ha!- made good time down the M4, and you arrive very early) is in a completely wonderful location, in an idyllic spot right by the Thames (with Reading barely in sight), with the river sparkling in the sunshine like a thousand diamonds in a crown. 

What a day! Come reign or shine, it seemed a great day for a brand new event, and a completely new organizer - Saturn Running. Hats (or rather, tiaras) off to them for a fabulous first event, which went off without a hitch. 


Sorry the picture is a bit blurry - I've really throne away an opportunity for a great photo there. 

Eight glorious laps through sunny meadows, through shady woods along the meandering Thames up to Sonning Lock and back made a marathon, and I enjoyed every step, apart from a couple of laps somewhere in the middle where I got a stitch. I've never had a stitch before, and blow me down, I never want another. There was a couple of seconds where I thought it was a heart attack, but then I grasped a hold of myself, and reminding myself of some basic biology, realised that was unlikely, unless my heart had slipped out of place quite significantly. By jove though.

Apart from that, and a couple of blisters, all went without a trouble, and I finished in 4:22. Got a nice medal....



Thanks to George and Charlotte of Saturn Running (who very conveniently, have names to make A Right Royal Run event more royal sounding) for a brilliant day, and I look forward to the next....  

The next day, Sunday, was the Richmond Park Marathon. I was equally excited and nervous about today. I love Richmond Park more than anywhere, and the events of recent days have re-realised dreams of becoming a princess/ rich, when I shall live in one the mansion houses backing on to the park. Anyway, enough daydreaming. I was nervous because the run had a 5.5 hour cut off time, which didn't seem very long, really. I felt a bit calmer to see lots of familiar faces from yesterday, and also Kasia and Gemma, who were amazing and really helped me a lot today - thanks girls! 



I struggled for the first 6 miles. My legs felt useless and heavy, I was lacking energy (goodness knows why, since finishing yesterday, I'd been out for pizza, then had another meal when I got home, then breakfast, and then another breakfast on the way to the race as I was still hungry), and I was freaking out about the time limit, even though my pace was fine to finish well within time. Oh deer.



After chatting to Gemma and Kasia and some other runners, I relaxed a bit, and at 8 miles, I started to feel a lot better. I had a few ups and downs (and if anyone tells me one more time that London is flat, I will send them off on a three lap marathon around Richmond Park), but I really enjoyed it. It is a stunning park, is Richmond Park. All big and green and open, with herds of deer just hanging around. The marathon route is 3 laps, the first one 12 miles, and the next two 7 miles each around the Tasmin Trail all around the edge, and it really shows the park in all it's glory. I was pleased to feel especially good on the last lap when I suddenly picked up a lot and felt great, and was able to pick up my pace. I love feeling good at the end of a marathon, and I had no i-deer I would be feeling like that after doing 4 marathons in 9 days, which is more than I've done before, I think. I finished in 4:45 which I was pretty happy with all things considered - as well as the hills it was a pretty hot day, and I felt a bit tired from yesterday...oh deer, or deer.



And that's enough deer jokes for now. Deer me. The quality of the jokes on here, already low, has really slipped. But fawn-tunately I only have two deer photos from today, so that'll be all.

The Richmond park Marathon is really a top notch race, a finely organised occasion, and runs like a well oiled machine. Lovely marshalls the whole way round. Excellent goody bag, including my first marathon mug (!), and a sparkly deer medal.


Now for a weekend off marathons. My Mum and Dad have just headed over the start line of the annual LDWA 100 (this year it's in Kent - The Cinque Ports). I am very proud of them! Last year my Mum supported me around the 100, she had just finished her breast cancer treatment, and I was raising money for the centre where she had treatment, and now a year later here she and my Dad are, doing the whole thing themselves! Andrew and I shall be helping at a checkpoint for the first time (checkpoint 3, 18 miles in) and after checkpointing duties are completed, will be offering support/ food/ medicines/ plasters/ a supply of bad jokes/ incentive to walk faster to avoid us/ whatever they need to get around. Please think of them and send them good vibes over the weekend! And good luck to all who are doing it! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Amy for being a 1st class supporter. You helped us through it. From dressing sore feet to buying us an ice lolly at the top of a particularly steep hill. We still can't quite believe we did it, walking for 44hrs 33mins seems impossible!! We have even more respect for you now with all the marathons and ultra's you do. We really understand how much effort both physically and mentally is needed when the going gets tough. And thank you to Andrew for providing a first class taxi service. Now for a nice long rest!!
    Mum and dad xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are both bonkers! 44 hours and 33 mins of non-stop walking!!! (I haven't stuck at anything for that long!) Absolutely brilliant effort, I am in awe, and as well as bonkers, I think you are amazing. It was brilliant to be a part of your journey, and to witness such an achievement happening! Now promise you will take a nice rest!xxx

      Delete