My Background

Monday 21 January 2019

#94 The Winter Tanners - 20.01.19

Something up with the weather today. Doesn't it remember that it is Winter Tanners day, which usually means rain, snow, wind, ice, and BOGS?? The only thing that was usual about it at all was that it was pretty freezing, but underneath three layers, I was actually HOT in the bright sunshine that lasted all day, without a moment's break, a whisp of wind, a splat of rain, or a tiny snowflake. Even the bogs had pretty much bogged off. I was on the lookout for the bog that I lost a shoe in last year, we had some unfinished business, but alas, it was nowhere to be seen! It was a most beautiful day.


And I feel very odd writing this. January bogs (I mean, blogs) are usually filled with misery about the weather, so this is an exciting change! 

The Winter Tanners is a 20/30 mile walk/run organised each year by the Surrey LDWA. This is the second time I've done the 30 mile run, and I read my blog from last year, where I said I remembered mostly four things about it: 1) the terrible weather, 2) the terrible mud, 3) a lovely route, and 4) fabulous people.

So 1 and 2 were very different this year. But 3 and 4 were the same! 

Each year the route is different, but from my experience, always brilliant, and this year it was indeed splendid, both in terms of fantastic scenery and varied running, and also in its writing. I remember from last year, genuinely enjoying just reading it, such was the delightful scattering of observations during the instructions, and this year was no different....

"Keep ahd on GSW, ignoring all LF and all turns, steadfastly for 10 furlongs"
"FL uphill to pass large metal gates and canine clamour"
"Continue ahead unerringly/ unwaveringly/ resolutely/ relentlessly"
"Cont ahd and eventually...."

And, perhaps my favourite:
"Up road, ignoring distractions" as we ran past....


It's brilliant, hey. These are genuinely thoughts that that I often think whilst running! And the scenery along the route was fabulous.





The route also went past a couple of sites of LDWA history, the Tanners Hatch YHA, site of the Epsom and Ewell LDWA who set up the Tanners Marathon, the first challenge event, back in 1960:


And also past a memorial to Alan Blatchford and Chris Steer, two founding members of the LDWA.

And so on to number 4, which is always true at these things. I ran with Andrew today, who is making a comeback from injury and did his longest run in almost 2 years, and wasn't even sick once - good job well done! Lots of other usual suspects there as well. Tara and Fabrice, Dave and Merrian, Kasia and Gemma - Kasia and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary today, as the Winter Tanners 2018 was where we first met, whilst ploughing through another bog, and am excited she will be doing her 100th marathon later this year too! Gemma was doing her 30th marathon, so a 30 for 30, fabulous! Great to catch up with Sarah, Jon and Gary at the finish, over a persual of potential future joint replacement parts in the board room of Matortho (what a great place to have the HQ of an ultra!). And loads of other familiar faces out too. I realised I hadn't done an LDWA event for a few months, and it was good to be back. Thank you Surrey LDWA for a fantastic event! 



No comments:

Post a Comment