My Background

Tuesday 9 July 2019

The Moreton Marathon, 07.07.19 - Kasia's 100th marathon!


I have to say one thing, first of all, before moving to running. This weekend, I learnt the difference between a pegasus and a unicorn. This was a gap in my knowledge which I wasn't aware of before now, and I fear that this may be the case for others, and so I shall share my newly attained nugget of info. A unicorn has a horn, but no wings. A pegasus has no horn, but wings. Or, a unicorn would benefit from Red Bull, but a pegasus has no need for such a thing.


And so, with this noted, on to running!

This weekend, it was the Weekend at the Races, in Moreton, with White Star Running. I've never done a run with White Star Running before, but I'd heard good things about them, so the weekend was looking to be much better than last week had been. It was a whole weekend of running, and I'd been gutted that there were no spaces left for the Unicorn Frolic 12 hour run on Saturday, which was my friend Kasia's Flake (99th) Marathon. As it turned out, although I still really really wanted to run with her, not being able to run meant time to explore the campsite, or, more specifically, The Beer Tent (with the Piddle Brewery Bar). I was already in love with White Star Running. I've never run a race where it included "5 pm - bar opens" in the instructions, and it was like a festival, but with running as well. What a combination! Lots of friends around as well, so Saturday was a fun day in the sun, watching some great running performances (actual unicorns may not have wings, but runners dressed as unicorns were flying for sure), and celebrating Kasia's Flake Marathon with blueberry Polish vodka.

The only slight negative of the weekend was that it served as a reminder that I am not a natural at camping. For starters, Andrew and I had by far the smallest tent on the campsite....


And in an effort to save on carrying things on the train, I had brought my yoga mat to sleep on, instead of a mattress. Yoga mats may be good to do yoga on, but they are not good to sleep on. That was one learning. Another learning, is that denim jackets are good to wear, but they are not good pillows. Another thing I learnt during Saturday night, is that being stuck between a rock and a hard place is never more of a greater predicament than when you are laying upon several rocks and hard places, on a thin yoga mat, with a denim jacket as a pillow, and there is a fly stuck in between the tent walls having a breakdown, and it starts to rain. 

But! This weekend wasn't about sleeping! It was way too exciting for that, and it was all about my friend Kasia, and about celebrating her massive achievement of reaching 100 marathons (of which many have been ultras!)! And so.......to Sunday! 

Sunday was an absolutely fabulous day, easily one of my favourite runs! It was essentially a big party, with some running thrown in. Kasia ran not just another marathon, but ran it whilst pulling three giant balloons behind her the whole way, which I think deserves an even bigger special mention. It was kind of like watching a transformation take place. The balloons, which started off the day bouncing around high above Kasia's head, it must be said became more deflated as the day went on, and they fought valiantly against 26 miles worth of assaults from trees, brambles, bees, fences, and friendly punches. As the balloons drifted closer the the ground, I could sense Kasia's confidence rising up to take their place. She is such a brilliant runner, and I don't think she even realises it, and to see her get closer every step to her next big goal was magical! 

A big group of us all ran together, around two laps around the Moreton Estate, which you can't normally run around. What a place! There were fields to run through....

 ...forests tracks to skip along.... 


rivers to traverse.....

....hay bales to pose on...


...someone had even got out the red carpet to mark the occasion, and help us over a barbed wire fence.....


...there were helpful signs.....

.
...monuments....


...and a Love Station....


Yes, a Love Station! I go on a lot about checkpoints on here, as I love a good checkpoint. Got to say though, this was like no checkpoint I've been to before. It was supercharged! There were shots of Schnapps, glasses of beer, music, dancing, a lady with a plant waterer spraying people with water, cakes and crisps and gherkins. Yes, gherkins. Fortunately, I didn't have to eat any, as Kasia had found them first, and was creating some kind of new electrolyte drink, which seemed to be composed of a gherkin in a glass of Schnaps, which by all accounts seemed to be effective, as she bounced along the next couple of miles. I settled for some Schnapps, followed by beer for good measure. Added in to the burger I'd had for breakfast, today was turning in to a new kind of marathon nutrition approach. I was going to start on a new course next year, so I can train in sports nutrition, and start work as a sports dietitian, but I don't see the need now, to be honest. I think I've cracked the magic nutrition and hydration strategy, so I shall retire now, and write a book about it, and use the profits to enter races. 

The run felt like it was over all too quickly, and soon it was time to cross the line of Kasia's 100th Marathon! Such a magic moment! Massive massive congratulations Kasia - I am so proud of you! Always knew you would do it. Not an easy journey, getting to 100 marathons. It's long (although, it only took you four years!), and at times can be difficult, it should be said. But no obstacle is too big for you, and you have smashed it! Everyone's journey to 100 marathons is different, and unique. But what I definitely know about yours, is that you have taken the time along the way to get to know so many people, and you have put a smile on every single one of the faces you have met, and whenever you are at a race, you always brighten it! The 100 Marathon Club is lucky for sure to have you, and I am lucky to have met you on your journey here! I remember the moment.....The Winter Tanners, LDWA, January 2018......I'd just read the dreaded line on the route description "continue ahead, relentlessly, across 7 fields", and exclaimed loudly to the surrounding mist/ snow/ mud "SEVEN!?" (I may also have said something else, but that's not fit for here). I thought I heard an echo, looked up, and saw another runner just in front of me, also looking at the route description, and wearing the same sort of expression that I was currently feeling. It was Kasia, and the seven fields were a heap better all of a sudden! You were a massive support to me, helping me over those fields, and have been ever since - thank you for being a fabulous friend! 

So, time to do some serious celebrating! Kasia's boyfriend, Jamie, did a brilliant speech and presentation.....


...and there was the biggest cake I've actually ever seen in my life!


As always at running, it was brilliant to spend time with great people. Thanks to everyone for this weekend, it was fabulous as always to see you all. Thanks to the group that I ran with, for a very fun run - great to catch up with old friends, and to make new ones. Thanks White Star Running - first run with you, and won't be the last! 

All too soon, it was time to jump on a train back home.....and it's bye for now, but see ewe next time.....

(baa-d joke, sorry)

No comments:

Post a Comment