My Background

Sunday 11 August 2019

Marathon #128 - Forrest Run, 11.08.2019


Run Forrest, run!

Today was another lapped course, this time with Saturn Running, along the River Thames near to Reading, where you can do as many 5km laps as you like within 7 hours. It was a Forrest Gump themed run, and I LOVE Forrest Gump.

I felt alright when I woke up after yesterday's hilly marathon, which was a suprise. I had another running nightmare in the night (something about being chased around a vineyard by Gollum waving a wine bottle about, and shouting that if I didn't run up the hill ALL the way, then Gandalf would put a spell on the grapes, and there would be no more wine, and it would all be my fault, and everyone would hate me). So I woke up at 4.30, so I was early and everything was going well, I even navigated around all the drunk people in Shoreditch, who were running in the road and bursting balloons in front of cars and screaming at people. I thought, if I can get through this, I can do anything! The train left, and got to Ealing. And then it just stayed at Ealing, because it broke (the doors got locked shut). I think it was the same train guard from last night, but he'd moved up in a level of stress, and was now even walking up and down the train, calling out "This train is a pain in the BACKSIDE! I'm SO sorry! I know this is a TERRIBLE start to your day" over and over and over. It was quite similar to last night, in that there were the same two types of people stuck on the train, really angry people, or really drunk people. Only now all the drunk people were asleep, and the angry people were REALLY angry, as they were trying to get to work. I was somewhere in the middle (asleep, not drunk, of course, and not angry, but upset, so nothing like everyone else, so I'm not even sure why I said that at all), so I dealt with that by joining in with train guard, and having a breakdown too. I cried, which at least got that over with early today, had a tantrum like a three year old, and was about to storm off the train, before I realised 1) the doors were locked shut, 2) I might be over reacting a touch, and 3) the driver somehow managed to fix the doors, and the train started moving.   

I felt knackered right from the start today. I love this course, it's a nice mix of meadows, and towpaths, woods, and a lock (and even though I thought it couldn't get any better, now it has a pizza boat at the far end of the course), and I love the aid station, but today every lap felt like a mountain! On my second lap, one magpie flew in front of me and sat down on the path. I always think of "one for sorrow, two for joy, blah, blah, blah...." when I see magpies. I know it's daft because it's just a magpie, but it was definitely doing it on purpose. It kept flying up and then back down at me, and staring me in the eye. I told it, it could bloody well do one, but it didn't. Then I saw another bird join in, so I thought, ha! Two for joy! I've won, move over magpie! Then I realised the other bird was a pigeon. Then a dog, called Bert, ran up to me and tried to knock me over, and then started licking me. Did Forrest have to deal with these things? Yes, he probably did, and just got on with it. And he'd have said "that's all I have to say about that", instead of going on and on and on. I need to be more like Forrest. 

I made it through a few more laps, and was finding it hard, so was thinking of more Forrest's words of wisdom to distract myself:
1) Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks. Well, that's not something I thought of today at any point. My feet are a disaster, I've got three blisters and only 9 toenails left, and my favourite running shoes have had it. This is awful and now what will I do? Somewhere along this train of thought, which was going on a bit to be honest, and wasn't overly helpful given the circumstances, I became aware of Forrest whispering....that's all I have to say about that....so, moving on...
2) When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went. When it comes down to it, that's running I guess. If I could just stop thinking all these negative thoughts all the time, I'm sure this would be a lot easier.
3) What's normal anyways? Now, there's a question, that not even 8 laps of thinking can answer...

I didn't think I was going to make it very far today. But so many friends were there, that each time I kicked another rock, or a magpie blocked my path, and I thought that that was it, I wasn't good enough to be here, and I should go home and stop taking up space on the towpath, someone smiled/waved/hugged, and I thought, no! I will stay! Forrest said, "I ain't a smart man, but I know what love is." And I know that I love running (although, sometimes, quite deep down), and I (always) love my running friends! There will be peaks and troughs, and right now I'm in a trough, but soon there will be a peak, and I'm not giving up! Soon after that Craig lapped me, and because he's the best, he stayed with me in the trough, and ran with me till he finished. I know I am lucky to be surrounded by people who are there always, not just at the good times. Forrest has something to say on this matter, too! "If you do not like my family and friends, I do not want to hear anything about it. They may mean nothing to you, but they mean everything to me."

Then, I had one lap left, so I went back to thinking about Forrest. He said, "some people think miracles don't happen - well, they do." So maybe I could finish a marathon today, after all! And I did, so Forrest is right. I knew it.

Thank you Charlotte, George, and Saturn and the marshals for another brilliant event. I love Saturn, it's always nice and chilled out, and always a good day full of support and cheer, and a lovely medal. 

And so, to finish on my favourite current Forrest thought. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we just be floating about accidental like on the breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Which I have been wondering about lately, but maybe it is a bit deep for the evening at the end of a double marathon weekend, and a dinner of a pint of cider, watermelon sweets and mashed potato (I've got to sort myself out) so maybe I'll change it to this one.

 "There's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes". 

Which might not be so philosophical, but has reminded me, I need new running shoes....

No comments:

Post a Comment