My Background

Sunday 1 March 2020

The Malta Marathon, 01.03.2020....The Sunny One


Loved this marathon so much! 

The weather back home has really been getting to me, so to have a few days in sunny Malta feels like a good kind of medicine. Plus, it is so nice to see so many running friends out here...it's funny to think you can come to a totally different part of the world, see a lot of people that you know.

The marathon started outside Mdina Gate (inland), and wound its way back to Sliema (on the coast). 

Yesterday, I went with Andrew to explore Mdina, which turned into drinking wine in Mdina....which always good preparation for a marathon....


It was an early (04:00) start, ready to catch the bus from Sliema to the start....where there was time to catch up with lots of friends...


...before the start....


The start was a nice few downhill miles, with nice views of Mdina (not captured at all well by me)....


Then the route wound around in a circley sort of pattern, with lemon trees, olive trees and pine trees pretty against the blue sky, and white stone walls and houses dotting the fields. Very lovely! There were plenty of water and poweraid stations (and an orange station) and bands playing along the route. 


Then, at about 25km, after running away and towards and around Mdina for what seemed like a long time, it was time to head toward to coast. The half marathon race also joined in at this point, so it all of sudden got quite busy. I quite liked that, bit of a boost to run a bit faster.

Ran about 35 km with Andrew before he ran off (well done on a great time, 3.44!), and I had a bit of a low point, tired/ headache/ etc etc blah blah blah. Sorted myself out with some water, electrolyte drink, and a headache tablet, and was feeling back on form again for the last 4 km. These were around the waterfront from Valetta to Sliema, and were loved with people cheering and smiling. I felt so happy! I did 3.47 which is my fastest time since I did my PB almost 4 years ago. 

Afterwards, it was a bit tricky to find people, but managed to find Andrew, Dave and Ian, and have a drink...



And take in the atmosphere. I love a marathon finish line!

So nice walking back in the sunshine, feeling warm and happy,  having had a good marathon 😎 Love you Malta and everyone here! 💕




No comments:

Post a Comment