My Background

Sunday 22 August 2021

SVN Zodiac Series - Leo and Cancer Runs (marathons #165 and #166)


On Friday, I went to my dear friend Becca's Hen Do. It was a fabulous affair - afternoon tea in Windsor, much bubbles, cocktails, and long overdue catch ups with friends, some of whom I haven't seen literally for years! My head was so full of bubbles and joy, that on the train back home, I decided that going to Gravesend with Andrew in the morning, to run a marathon with him, was a good idea, and so I entered. 

The idea seemed less good, when I had to get up at 05:00 the next morning, and actually do the idea. The marathon was #1 of 12 of the SVN Zodiac Series in Gravesend, the Leo Challenge. Had a 3 mile cycle, a second breakfast at St Pancras, a train ride, and a 2 mile walk to to start, so by the time we got to the Cyclopark in Gravesend, I was feeling ready for bed again. But it was all very exciting once we got there, and there were so many friends there too. I ran my fastest time (4:07) since the Malta Marathon just before Covid started, which was rather surprising, given my preparation for it had been a lot of prosecco, having a crisp sandwich for dinner at 11pm, and getting 5 hours sleep. But there you go, the world is a random place. 

We stayed overnight in the Purple Palace, with a room overlooking the running route. It felt quite nice just to sit and look at it, instead of running around it. And today, it was more of the same for the Zodiac Cancer Challenge, but a slower one today to relax, and again it was fun. Loved seeing everyone, and thank you Traviss, Rachel and Karen for taking care of us all!

I wish I was there for the full 12! I never have liked the Cyclopark much, but I loved this weekend, and I think the course is growing on me, and I'll miss it and seeing everyone this week! Good luck to everyone doing the 12, and will be back next weekend for some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment