My Background

Saturday 17 September 2022

This week's running: Ricky Races Marathon (Running Miles, 15.09.22) and Moulin Run (Saturn, 17.09.22)

Ricky Races Marathon (Running Miles, 15.09.22, marathon, 03:55) 

A scheduling mishap, meant for a slightly anxious run with bit of a tight a deadline 😆 My first time running the Running Miles course at Rickmansworth Aquadrome, and I really enjoyed the route, which was 8 laps all around the lakes and through woods. It was a nice smooth surface to run on as well. About half way, there was an incident of being chased by a goose. This was followed by an incident of almost being mown down by a greyhound, who sounded like a herd of elephants bearing down from behind me, such was his speed and drive. He was headed for some geese (hopefully the one who chased me earlier). I commented to his owner that I wished I could run that fast, and she replied "if you could, you'd win all the races!" Well! If only we could all be greyhounds, hey! I spent a few strides seeing if it was possible to match the greyhound's speed. It wasn't. But I imagined myself looking as elegant and composed, and striding out, and was quite getting in to it, but I will admit it was hard work. In a few more strides I came across a small fluffy cockapoo, who was pottering along quite happily, and stopping to look at things every 2 seconds, and I thought, in reality, this is more like my approach. In another few strides, there was a small French bulldog, running around a tree in circles and trying to eat it's ball, and I thought, OK no, let's be honest, THIS is my spirit animal. This little French bulldog and me have really got much more in common than the greyhound and me do.

Anyway, all that thinking took up quite a lot of time, and despite my stress levels and time pressure, I felt pretty good, the time went by really quickly, and finished in a good time for me. I loved the event, the course, and loved seeing everyone (even if my enforced "trial separation" from Sarah wasn't going well 😆), had plenty of Shrimp Technique moments, and it was a great morning. Well done to all runners! Thank you Rik and Team Phoenix (Beryl and Theresa) for a great event!






Moulin Run (Saturn, 17.09.22, marathon, 4:19)

Today was a day to celebrate, as the enforced trial separation with Sarah ended!! We had missed out on three weeks of chat, so there was a great amount to catch up on. 

The run was from the Wokingham Waterside Centre, just outside Reading. Met Sarah at the station and we walked to the start. It was a mass start at 10:00 which was nice, seeing everyone together is really nice, and we had a minute silence for Her Majesty The Queen before setting off.

It was 6 laps for a marathon, of a lovely route along the river and nature reserve, and it was the best fun. Thank you Sarah for a brilliant run! I think we did a good run as well, especially considering Sarah's preparation the day before had included standing up all day and eating 1/3 of a brownie and a bacon sandwich, and mine had included prosecco. 

It was very lovely to see so many people. The weather felt really cold this morning, but turned into really lovely running weather in the sunshine. Some more geese incidents occurred (so many geese have got real attitude problems, I find). 

Thank you George, Charlotte and Team Saturn for a fabulous event! And thank you for my princess cup, I love it so much, and it is so much nicer than the original!

Well done to everyone!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment