My Background

Sunday 28 April 2013

Marathon #4: London Marathon 2013

Better late than never! This isn't exactly breaking news anymore... hectic week... but this is what I meant to upload at the beginning of the week about the London Marathon Experience......

I spent all week of hte week beofre ironing transfers onto my top (top #2, top #1 didn't make it through the customizing process). Really not easy like it looks on the packet. Finally, I succeeding in ironing them all on the right way up, and they all stuck. Until I put on top 20 mins before leaving my flat to go to the race. Note #1: transfers don't stretch, be careful when putting them on and don't leave thing to the last minute and rush things and try to put your head through the arm hole. Note #2: Try everything out before race day!!!

Patched top up. No one will notice I'll be running so fast. Hahaha.



Well, after that little excitement off to the start line. Really not feeling great this morning. It kind of feels like nerves, but I don't normally get nervous before running, so don't know what to do. But I didn't eat much breakfast and still not hungry now. Not a great start :-(

I like to get there early to soak up the atmosphere and watch the start of the elite races. Today didn't disappoint, music and crowds and some truly insane fancy dress. Then a silence to remember our friends in Boston, and then a cheer to celebrate them, and the running community of which they are part, whose spirit will not be broken by the cowardice of a small few. 

Started too quickly. Difficult in a race so big to run your own race at the start, there are so many people around you it is almost impossible not to get carried along at the pace of everyone else. Still, feeling OK, but after a few miles at a quicker pace, coupled with the lack of food I've had, I begin to worry about the end, and at what point 'the wall' is going to appear....

Crowds AWAZING though! So loud and enthusiastic and full of energy! So grateful to everyone who came out to support. Saw my Mum and Dad and sister and Andrew just after 8 miles and then again at 11 miles, with my own banner! Really makes a difference seeing faces you know cheering you on, gives you a big boost :-) 


Celebrity spotting went well also: Ed Ball, Michel Roux Jr (who thinks I'm an idiot as I had no idea what to say to him after, hi), Iwan Thomas and Richard Branson. 

Felt OK until about 18 miles then things went downhill....so close to stopping and walking, but somehow didn’t, and made it to 24 miles, where I knew I could run the whole thing - the crowds and the atmosphere for those last miles completely overwhelming. Past Big Ben, through Parliament Square and down Birdcage walk....right past Buckingham Palace and finally the famous finish line comes into view!



3.50.59! :-)

1 comment:

  1. You are a star Amy, don't know how you do it. One year you should just go and watch the London Marathon! Think we have just about recovered the use of our vocal chords! As you have said the atmosphere at London really is amazing.
    We were very grateful for those "clacker thingys" certainly goes some way to preventing sore hands from too much clapping.
    Bet the next race will seem quiet although you will hopefully be able to go at the speed you choose.
    4 down only 9 to go!!

    Mum xx

    ReplyDelete