My Background

Sunday 8 September 2013

Marathon #10: The Thames Meander Marathon: the one in the RAIN

Well, first of all, apologies for the lack of blogs for the last couple of weeks! Things got a bit mental following the last marathon......went away for Andrew's birthday, moved house (sort of twice!) and finished my job!

So, I am now sitting down taking a deep breath and taking it all in :-)

The Thames Meander Marathon was brilliant, everything I was expecting it to be! Been looking forward to it all year, but was feeling quite worried after my last (terrible) performance in Salisbury! The day began with a gentle patter of rain against the window, which threw me a bit as the forecast a few days ago had said it would be really hot, but I obviously should have checked back, oops.

Andrew came to do the half which was great! We started off together, but he ran off straight away to run an awesome 1:44:25!

I really enjoyed the route, it’s one I’m used to and I felt comfortable running there. The other runners were really friendly, I’ve never had so many comments on my running top before (which says what I’m doing), and I met several people doing similar things, and even one lady also doing 13 in 2013!

The rain was pretty light for the start as we headed through Richmond Park down to the river. Had a little mishap at mile 3 when I ran into a post, and for a moment thought I might have cracked a rib, but seemed alright, so carried on!

The river looked like a rainforest with the misty warm rain rising off the river in the trees. Held back a bit for the first half along the river back to Putney (very tempting to stop and go back home at half way!). Had some drinks and sweets at the checkpoints to keep the petrol tank full. Half way was at Putney Bridge, so we ran over the bridge to the half way checkpoint and got entangled with the football crowd going to the match at Fulham FC. Half way flapjack celebration, then decided I actually felt pretty good so decided to go for it on the way back.

Felt brilliant on the way back. As we left the river to go back into Richmond Park about 4 miles from the end, the sky went yellow, and then it went dark, and then the rain began lashing down with a terrifying fury. Wowza! It was quite a dramatic atmosphere and coupled with the fact I knew I has almost made it I really enjoyed it! As I ran up the final hill to come out of the park, a huge stag was stood at the top reaching up to eat the branch of a vast old tree, and the rain lashing down and the strange yellow darkness behind him, it was one of those moments when you fully appreciate how beauty and power nature can be.

So, back for the last mile to the finish line, which resembled a river by this point, and across the line in 3:55:11.


Off for a shower (a proper one), spaghetti bolognese and then off for a weekend in the van for Andrew’s birthday.....to Wings and Wheels and a van birthday cake...


No comments:

Post a Comment