My Background

Wednesday 9 April 2014

The Woldsman 50 miles...3 days to go!

Been tapering for the Woldsman race for a week now. In my grouchy, bored, carb-loaded anxiety I found this article about tapering. I think it was written as a joke, but everything is true for me:

http://running.about.com/od/distancerunningtips/a/You-Know-You-Are-Marathon-Tapering-When.htm 

But it's true! And I hate tapering! And I think I'm overdoing it because I'm anxious because I've never done an ultra before and I don't want to mess it up now. 

But on the plus side my leg is better after the Heptonstall Fell Race! Haven't done much since then:
Sunday 30th: rest (unable to move)
Monday 31st: rest (unable to move far)
Tuesday 1st: run 6 miles (hurt)
Wednesday 2nd: gym (30 min bike, 15 min cross trainer)
Thursday 3rd: 45 min spinning
Friday 4th: run 4 miles
Saturday 5th: rest (I went to a wedding. It was a good excuse to take complete rest.....)
Sunday 6th: rest (.....but all night dancing in 4 inch heels must count for something?)
Monday 7th: rest (feet hurt from dancing)
Tuesday 8th: 4 mile run

Last night I dreamed I was at the start line, but had forgotten my maps. Everyone laughed and I got disqualified before even starting. 

I also read something I wish I hadn't. The Woldsman has more climbing in it (4500 ft)than the Heptonstall Fell Race did (3170 ft). I am alternating between 1) ignoring this, 2) it must be a typo? 3) the fell race wasn't THAT bad right? 4) uncontrollable weeping. 

Feeling anxious.


1 comment:

  1. That tapering link is all true!! I have all the symptoms! But wasn't it you who told me not to get anxious?
    Let's be positive, we should just go and do our best. If you only (only she says) do 36 miles it will be the longest you have ever run. And don't forget that although there is more climbing it's over 50 miles and not just 15. And there is food en route.
    The forecast looks OK, got to be a bonus. Just think, if all goes to plan, you'll be tucked up in bed when me and dad are still plodding (or should that be limping) along.
    We can do it.
    Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete