My Background

Thursday 21 September 2017

The Great Barrier Reef

Run Every Day While Away is now two weeks old! So far it's been doing it's job, I've started to enjoy running again, and over the last few days have finally been starting to feel stronger too. The thought of being able to do another marathon again has even popped back into my head, and that's something that I haven't even thought about for ages. 

Plus, have seen some wonderful things while out running. 

But, to make things more interesting, on day 12 I thought my plans were scuppered. We went on a boat trip out to the Great Barrier Reef. 


It was absolutely tremendous, but I got quite sea sick on the way out (having never been sea sick at all before in my whole life). We arrived back in Cairns in the early evening, but the sea sickness hadn't finished for the day. It's so odd, that you can still feel that way, even when you've stopped moving on the boat. Anyway, after worrying if I could walk in a straight line, I managed a 30 min jog along the esplanade and felt quite a bit better for it, but it was the next morning before I stopped swaying all over the place. It was totally worth it though. I will never forget the terror of jumping off a boat in the middle of the ocean, putting your head under the waves, and then having the remainder of your breath taken away by seeing the beauty that lies beneath.

Day 13 we ran 7-8 miles (most of my technology has broken since being here, so I'm down to estimating things, which is quite fun) along the esplanade to the marina, along the harbour wall, then all along past an enormous cruise liner that was docked. I am always astounded that things that big can float. Then back along the esplanade the other way toward the airport and back. The afternoon was hotter than a hot thing, with a degree in hot, on a hot day, in the land of hot. Still, there are plenty of handy water fountains around to keep hydrated (there should definitely be more of these around in the U.K.)...


And lots of nice art works to admire....



Day 14 - to celebrate the two week birthday of running every day I did a quick 30 minute early morning blast along the marina. We left Cairns today, for New Zealand. I will miss Cairns. I have loved running along the wooden boardwalk, seeing the rainforest covered mountains rise into the clouds over the sun-sparkled waters, seeing the exotic birds and listening to their songs. But I will carry it's spell onwards to the next adventure, and new trails to discover! 


2 comments:

  1. Your blogs from Australia have been brilliant. It's so nice to see all the photos and really good to know you have got your love of running back Keep it for fun and you will have many more happy miles ahead of you. We have to ask, did you manage a whole 2 weeks in Oz and not see any spiders?!
    Really looking forward to the tales from New Zealand. Enjoy
    Mum and Dad xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a small (but, I expect, deadly) spider outside the jungle lodge. That was all!
      Thank you! Glad to hear you've enjoyed my ramblings...and as apparently I can run again, I can bore you with more! Look forward to hearing your rambling tales too from the Pennine Way... Xxx

      Delete