My Background

Sunday 17 February 2019

Marathon #98 - The Winter Poppyline 16.02.2019


Nearly got an injury this week, which is ironic because 1) I’ve got this close without getting one and, 2) I did it whilst not running. Well, technically I was, but only by accident. Was going to get my name printed on my 100 MC vest, but was late leaving work, and was worried was going to miss closing time at the printing place. So I was doing a bit of a sprint from the tube in Leyton, tripped over a tree root, and went flying down the street, did a star jump position, but on the floor. I hate to think what the bloke in the printers thought of me, there was a massive hole in my trousers with blood all over it, my hand was all cut, and I later realised when I got home there there were twigs all over my coat from the tree I landed under, and I’d somehow got mud on my face. Nice! Looking on the bright side, I made it there before it shut, and although I have a good amount of cuts and my knee is purple, purple is my favourite colour.



Having survived the week otherwise unscathed, this weekend it was time for another LDWA outing – The Winter Poppyline, a 50 mile run in Norfolk, from Norfolk and Suffolk LDWA. Ran with Andrew, Sarah and Jon today, and had a totally fabulous day. The run started Aylsham, and the first section wound northwards, along sandy tracks, muddy roads, and sun dappled woods. The first checkpoint at Itterington, was quite early on at 6.5 miles, and it seemed to come along quickly. My hip (that I’d hit on my ‘accident’) was a bit twingy, it sort of felt like a stitch but in the wrong place, so I guess just muscular, but it and my knee both seemed to feel better the longer I ran, which just proves that running is the best medicine. The next section was a bit longer, 10 miles, heading further north up to Holt. Beautiful scenery all the way again.


It was turning into a fantastic day weather wise, way too hot in my choice of clothes and seriously regretting bringing two spare jackets as well as the one I was wearing. A highlight of this section was running over the world’s greatest stile...


But we must pause. Holt even! It was time for the second checkpoint…




...at Holt! Bumped into Davo, and Merrian, had some chats, a cheese sandwich, and then on for another section, which didn't take up that much space in the route description, but was full of misleadingly brief sentences. It started by running past the world’s biggest school. The route description said ‘go past school’ so sounded quite quick. About ½ a mile later, we were still running past it. Then it was along the world’s longest pavement, the route description said ‘continue along pavement’ and 15 minutes later we we still running along it. Until we reached the world's longest grassy track……etc, etc. About 40 minutes later, having finally made it past paragraph one, the toot of a steam train echoed, heralding the beginning of the next paragraph.....'over railway' - hurrah! We were still heading north, and soon enough, the sea was spotted (Sarah winning the sea spotting competition)! Something about seeing the sea that just always feels a bit magical, suddenly this huge open space, and skies reaching high above. There was a slight spanner in the works when I stopped staring at the sky, and noticed that the route was taking us onto the beach, which meant shingle...


...for another deceivingly short sentence "follow path on shingle".....until eventually, shaking out the stones from our shoes, we climbed up onto the cliff tops for some beautiful views. 


Then it was inland, through Sheringham Park, which is a National Trust estate, and very nice it is too, to checkpoint 3 at Sheringham, which was about the 1/2 way point. Never one to break a rule, I took the next instruction seriously "please ensure you have plenty to eat and drink before leaving; it is 12.5 miles to the next checkpoint." Water, bakewell tart and custard, twiglets, and some mints for the journey felt like about 12.5 miles worth of fuel, and so it was onwards!

And up Beeston Bump....and then down again! Through some shrubs (or, were they trees, and what is the cut off point between being a shrub and becoming a tree?), back over the railway, along some tracks around another huge school, and fields and fields full of hundreds of horses. Past lots of caravan sites, a Roman Camp, and soon we were in Cromer. Where... there was a surprise checkpoint! With chocolate Freddos! And the nicest marshals, who were there as a safety precaution, to warn us and those who would be arriving here in the dark, that the next section was up on the cliffs, and had some dangerous bits. I could see why, it was a bit hairy up there. More great views though, through the gorse, of the sea and the coast line.



Then back inland, and past a very exciting bit called the Shrieking Pit....


....what a wonderfully written tale, but blimey, I'm glad it's this week, and not the 24th. It was getting quite chilly, come to think of it. But then, it was getting quite dark. Maye that was it, and not a shrieking damsel. Luckily, it was time for checkpoint 4, which was in a church in Southrepps. Absolutely amazing checkpoint, warm and bright coming inside from the gathering dusk, a choice of THREE flavours of soup, rice pudding and peaches, fudge bars, tea, cake, you name it, I'm sure it was there, along with a host of wonderful marshalls. And we were at 38.5 miles already - I couldn't understand it, the miles were flying by, it was a brilliant day, we were making good time, and I felt completely fine. What was going on?!


Head torches on, it was out into the dusk. I love running at night (but only if others are around, especially if there are shrieking damsels swooping around the vicinity). Everything changes, and it feels more in the moment, as you lose all of the references you normally see around you, and you really have to focus. We were just discussing this, and if we could tell how far distances were, say how far 800 m was, which is what we were just doing "in 800 m, as road bends left, at seat on right, go ahead". A few minutes later, chatting, we realised that this had been a few minutes more than what we had decided 800 m should take.....ahem....and focus....


The rest of the section was fun, head torches bobbing along, until we made it to the final checkpoint in Felmingham (after a small mishap of running past it on the wrong side of the road). Thank goodness we found it, as it (like all of the other checkpoints) was a gem - friendly marshalls (including the kind gentleman who was driving the body bus on the Red Rose 50 last year and who picked up my parents and got them back safely when the had to retire because of illness- cheers!). There was even cheese and grapes, so it felt a bit of a posh way to be spending a Saturday night. A glass of wine, and we could stay here all night. But focus! Only 4.5 miles to go now....

The last section was really good fun - a really long straight bit which we ran at a good pace along, and it felt good to feel so good at the end. I didn't even want it to finish, but soon enough we were back at Aylsham, having beans and eggs on toast and hot tea - thank you so much Andrew, Sarah, and Jon for a fantastic day! 


Great to see Neil at the end, who did a brilliant job of completing his 50th marathon/ultra today - good job well done! Caught up with Dave and Merrian, and plenty of other familiar folk - well done to everyone. And thank you so much Norfolk and Suffolk LDWA and the other groups who were there too today - a hugely enjoyable event, which has made many happy memories. I haven't explored this area before, but the route was the perfect way to see a beautiful area, and all the marshalls looked after us so well.

And! We got new buffs! 💕


Well, one more week until #99 and #100. Feels quite odd that it's so close. In the meantime, I shall try to make it back to the printers to pick up my vest without further incident, and get on to the important aspects of getting a cake....


No comments:

Post a Comment