My Background

Thursday 28 February 2019

Marathon #100 - Dirty Running, 24.02.19


Bit late in updating this, but haven't really known what to write, as it was such an amazing day, and now it's over, I'm feeling a bit flat. Which isn't a very inspiring thing to write about, so I haven't. I'm a bit annoyed by myself, because a few people said that this would probably happen, and I was like, yeah yeah whatever, I'll just plan some other stuff for afterwards and it'll all be fine. So I did all that, but I've still been feeling rubbish.

But - this is not how I imagined my blog about marathon 100 would sound! So, to remain positive, let's rewind back to the day, which was so good! And everyone's been so nice about it; I've never had so many messages. This must be what it's like to get married, or have a baby, or something. So, thanks everyone!

To try and warm up to writing something more upbeat, I will begin with the great British tradition, which everyone is comfortable talking about - The Weather. I never thought I would run a marathon in February in a vest, but the weather was amazing! Which was extremely lucky, as I decided I wanted the 100 MC vest and not a long sleeved top or anything, so to be able to wear it in Feb was a stroke of luck.



I still remembered that there was still a marathon left to run before hitting 100, so it was time to stop wittering on about the weather, and get on with it, so sunglasses on, and off we headed. It was such good fun - thank you so much to ALL the other runners and marshalls the whole way around who shouted, smiled, laughed, high fived, limboed, ran with me, and made it like a party. It was the best run ever, and I loved completely every single step. When I did my first marathon, I had no idea that marathons could be this much fun! But I always say this, and that's because it's true; that running has given me a lot, but the best thing about it is the people I meet. Some photos from the course (which, I almost forgot, was a new course for me at Phoenix - 5km laps towards Hampton Court x 8 for a marathon).....



But before you know it (and that's another thing I would never have said during my first marathon! - where I 'hit the wall' at 19 miles) it was over, and that meant....cake time!

 


Cake demolished, and it was time for the quest for the vest to be completed, and thank you so much Rik for doing my presentation....



....and for all the other special touches during the day, like having running number 100 and a special souvenir number....



Then it was time to celebrate with friends and family, whilst witnessing some fabulous photo bombing...





Thanks Mum and Dad for coming all the way from Lancashire to be there - you were there at my first marathon, where I almost threw up, so I hope this time was a better experience!

It took me 3452 days from my first marathon to my 100th, which is nearly nine and a half years. So long in fact, that my first marathon (Fleetwood) doesn't even exist any more. It's been an amazing journey, wow, I've been so lucky! But I should probably stop talking about it as a journey that has been completed, as it makes it sound like it's over, which I think is what's making me sad about it. I guess it's just a stop on the journey, like on a train, and now it's moving again, off to more places and more adventures. 

Thank you so much everyone for everything! I am very lucky 💜💛💙💚💗


2 comments:

  1. Well done Amy! Wonderful achievement. The cake looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete