My Background

Friday 24 May 2019

Hadrian Hundred - Running for Hannah, run #1 (H)


So only one more sleep until my fundraising challenge for my friend Hannah begins!

My friend Hannah has cancer, and I am running to raise money for two charities that have supported her - The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity and the Pelican Cancer Foundation. 

But as well as that, I wanted to do it so that Hannah knows I'm thinking of her, especially as she has started a new phase of treatment lately, and has come up against even more challenges. I am heartbroken she is having to go through this. I shouldn't swear on here, so I won't, but just imagine, if you will, all of the worst swear words and stick them together in one long one, and that honestly is my feeling towards cancer. 

But!!! Being negative is completely useless and isn't going to get anyone anywhere. I am taking my inspiration from Hannah, who is just incredible (as she always has been), and is approaching everything with such an amazing attitude. I admire her so much, how she takes every new opportunity to fight this, and her strength throughout everything. She is my hero 💕😍💕

So, I am spelling out Hannah's name in ultramarathons...

And first up is H, and The Hadrian Hundred miler tomorrow...

102 miles...

Yikes...

14000 ft ascent....

Double yikes...

13 checkpoints (and it's LDWA, so the checkpoints are GOOD)...

So, in the spirit of positivity, I have reassigned my mind to think of it as 13 picnics with some running in between.

Which is absolutely fine, I'm good at picnics. Ha! 

It starts and finishes in Hexham in Northumberland, and is a circular route that also goes into Cumbria and Durham. It's very beautiful, so I am looking forward to it. I have done 2 X 100 milers before, but they were basically the 2 hardest runs ever done in my life, by a long way, so I am right now absolutely terrified as well.  

I've been trying to relax by reading the map, and finding amusing places names. I must say, I am very much looking forward to running past Crossgill Pants...



I also love how there is a moor where it looks like you can get dessert, but am concerned it also looks like you could hurt your foot on the way there....


My favourite though is this bit of the map. Sillyhall! Imagine if that was your house! "Well, hello, I am Earl Silly, of Sillyhall, how silly it is to meet you here! Why instead don't we take a stroll down the road to Slaggieburn, and then hop on across the Meadow Flatt (flat!!), and over up to Ricehead where I'm going to stuff myself silly with rice, right up to me head..."



But it seems that no direction appreciates these jokes about local place names....



So I stopped looking at the map, and went to the outdoors shops in Hexham, where I had a sudden realisation that I was without a vital piece of kit...



How had I not thought of this before! Definitely no room for it in my bag though, which is a shame really....who knows when you might need fresh eggs.


There is a website that you can track the event on here and my number is 515.

I'll try to put some posts on Facebook on the way round, but I'm not sure if there will be much signal, or if I'll be in any state able to write anything coherent (even less than normal).

Thanks everyone for your support! 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment