My Background

Sunday 19 May 2019

The Richmond Park Marathon, 19.05.19


If there's one thing I've learnt this weekend, it is that there is no logic to running.

Yesterday, I was rested, it was a flat route, a nice and relaxed event, and short laps which I always find more manageable to think about. I should have felt good, right? But no!

Today, I woke up feeling pretty rubbish after only 5 hours sleep, too much wine and Eurovision, and feeling it in my legs a bit from yesterday. The course today was definitely harder with plenty of hills, and only three big laps which I find quite tricky mentally to break up into manageable chunks. So I should have found it harder than yesterday, right? No!

It's completely illogical, and I conclude that running, much like most of life, is totally random.

I am thus abandoning all training schedules, and heading to the pub to watch Eurovision highlights for the week, and am confident of a PB next weekend. 

I love the Richmond Park Marathon. This was my third time there. After my disastrous training run there a couple of weeks ago, I was a bit apprehensive there was a going to be a repeat disaster, but happily All My Troubles Seemed So Far Away, and gave me no bother. Oh, sorry, the Beetles was Yesterday.

Sorry.

Not really!

THe Richmond Park Marathon is a well organised race, with great aid stations and a fabulous route - a 12 mile lap that twirls around the middle of the park, followed by 2 x 7 mile laps around the edge. It's a big event with a few hundred runners there, and it's nice to know a lot of them now. There were lots of deer lounging around, green parakeets swooping about over head, and all around the beautiful scenery of the park. I do love it there. I think I could live there. Only if someone gave me a house. Otherwise I'd be bankrupt, and have no money left to spend on marathons. 

Anyway, today was a run, and we must focus. I finally made it to the start, after leaving my house to realise all the roads were closed for the Hackney Half (big well done all who did it!), so the buses weren't running. A plan B, involving two delayed trains (which on the plus side, meant time for a second breakfast on route) and a bit of stress, worked out OK, and I made it to the loo queue at the start with a whole 35 minutes to spare.....and to the registration tent with only 20 minutes..... the only thing I don't like about bigger races is loo queues. Plus, it costs 20p for the loo in Richmond Park. But, I didn't need even one of my stash of 20p's, as someone had wedged the door open, so for this point, we must Let It Be. 

Anyway. Great to Come Together with people at the start, and I was surprised when I started to find that my legs felt much lighter than yesterday. I Feel Fine, in fact. Nothing really hurt much, apart from my feet a bit, which is a bit of a disaster as my most comfortable trainers that are well worn in and my favourite, and that I was planning on running the 100 in, have chosen to start to fall apart a week before. There you go, totally random.

Thanks Craig for the company on the way round, and the half way Calipo! And everyone for the chats. Today was fun. Just goes to show, you can get by With A Little Help From My Friends. 

Last year there was a mug in the goody bag. I was hoping this year there might be a tea-pot. There wasn't, but what there was, was a pen. I love a free pen.


Thanks 1m2go for a great race!

So, only 6 days until the Hadrian Hundred now. I'm off to the pub for PB training.....

Not really. One Eurovision experience is enough for one year.

Thanks everyone who has sponsored me!

Here is my fundraising link: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/runningforhannah

No comments:

Post a Comment