My Background

Monday 1 May 2023

Milton Keynes Marathon, 01.01.2023, 03:51:27

Today didn't go exactly as I hoped, but you don't always get what you want, hey!

But it was still a great day. The course has changed this year, to a two lap course. It's very pretty, all along the cycle paths and greenways around Milton Keynes. The blossom was out, and so are the bluebells, and the green of spring is springing out all around. The only part I didn't like is the new finish, which is uphill, and quite the little sod at the end of a marathon, to be honest.

It wasn't all that hot, but still hotter than I've felt running this year (apart from Seville!) so that was nice, although I wilted a bit in the sunnier moments.

I made a number of rookie errors, which I'm disappointed in myself for not doing better with, but maybe some things are just sent as a lesson to learn from, and remind us of things. So, lessons I was reminded of:

1. Running quite a bit faster than the overall pace you are aiming for, in the first few miles, is a very bad idea (really, this is the first thing that anyone tells you when training for your first marathon, seems I forgot 😆)

2. Don't forget a water bottle (especially if it's hot, and you KNOW that a cup of water every few miles will not be enough)

3. Don't forget migraine tablets (especially if it's hot, you haven't drunk enough, and both those are likely to trigger one)

4. Don't panic and get upset and frustrated when things go wrong. Channel challenging emotions in a positive way!

And thus ends today's "what not to do in a marathon" lesson 😆 

I loved the atmosphere and there was some great support on the way round. I also loved the "motivational" signs on the way round, and the lady marshal at mile 24.5 who was holloring "THINK OF THE FINISHING BEER!!!" at us! And I got to meet Moo Farah and Moosain Bolt at the start. Excellent also to see so many friends there, and to have a catch up and a cuppa with Alan afterwards.

So on reflection, it was quite tough run, but that's how it goes. Ride the waves, and the swell will spit you out on a beach eventually. Preferable a tropical one, with cocktails and sunloungers. I mean, one that's good for running training, a refillable water bottle, and my fully stocked kit bag (I am meant to be learning from my lessons, after all. I suppose). 



No comments:

Post a Comment