My Background

Sunday 3 March 2013

Recovery week

Sunday 24th Feb: 30 min (ER)
Monday 25th Feb: rest
Tuesday 26th Feb: 30 min (ER)
Wednesday 27th Feb: rest
Thursday 28th Feb: 35 min (ER)
Friday 1st March: 1 hour (ER)
Saturday 2nd March: 1.15 min (ER)
Sunday 3rd March: rest

I'm basing my running around a Hal Higdon program, so essentially the week before each marathon is a taper week, and the week after each marathon is a recovery week, and any other weeks you have in between those are where you can do some 'proper' training.

Was apprehensive that the 'recovery week' still involved 5 runs...but I've felt really good this week. I tried running the day after the race, which I've never done before, previously have always rested for 2-3 days afterwards. I didn't find it difficult to run the day after, just a bit of tightness in my hamstrings, and I guess as I was able to run the rest of the week feeling OK then it might have helped, so will try it again.

The first time I felt tired was yesterday, when I needed to do a 1-2 hour session. The program says what you do for 1-2 hours is up to you, run/walk/cross-train, but I have decided to run. Felt completely exhausted both mentally and physically, which disappointed me as I had been feeling so good up till now. But you have to expect to have some bad days, and not become downcast. So today is a rest day, and if I'm not feeling back on form tomorrow I'll take an extra one next week. From experience it's important to listen to your body as well as what your schedule says, and so hopefully I'll be back on track for Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment