My Background

Saturday 23 March 2013

Marathon #2: Solo Run

Woah that hurt!!!!

Not in my best shape leading up to it, that course of antibiotics was pretty nasty and gave me most of the list of side effects in the leaflet for the week leading up to the marathon. Great. But anyway, whatever, the day before I started to feel myself again, so was ready to go......

Woke up nice and early, to the sound of rain on the window. But not snow, hurrah! Ate some breakfast (wheatabix and a bagel with peanut butter, coffee and plenty of water) and hopped on the bus to Putney where the start was. Felt really weird not having an organised start to go to! Just kind of sat on a bus trying to get into running mode. My Mum has been visiting my Granny in hospital in Brighton and came up for the day to watch which I was really excited for. Wasn't sure how it was going to be running this far without anyone else running or watching.....My Mum was going to mile 3 (Barnes Bridge), Mile 12 (Richmond Park) and near the end (Putney Bridge), so I felt relaxed as I set off as I knew I'd see her soon (and she had promised cheers and refreshments :-) )

Started off along the Thames Path. Raining. Lots of things to look at, all the rowers training on the river, boats, loads of runners and walkers out. Bang on time at mile 3 and sure enough my Mum was there! Compulsory photo...
....plus some fruit cake! And off again....

No problems on the rest of the way to Richmond Park. I like this run, and the rain even stopped for a while. Listening to Podcasts, the TriviaTrain passed an hour easily, and I learnt that eating cheese before bed does not give you nightmares. Hurrah! This is a rumor that began from Dickens 'A Christmas Carol' when Scrooge dreamed of the three Christmas ghosts, and he had eaten cheese before going to bed...so based on this sound piece of scientific fiction, people believed eating cheese before bed gave you nightmares. A lie! Cheese in fact contains the amino-acid tryptophan, which may even aid sleep.

Anyway, made it to Richmond Park at about 9 miles and the rain set in again and started to feel quite deflated. But saw my Mum again at mile 12, which gave me a boost (thanks for the chocolate cake!)...
...but I knew there was still a long way to go, now on my own, and that and the weather really started to wear down my enthusiasm (which lets face it is by far the most important thing in the latter miles of a marathon) so things got a little tough from that point.

Made it back down to the Thames Path at about mile 16. Disaster struck! I was down to my last bottle of water, and this was only a cheap plastic bottle, which had been in my backpack until this point and must have been knocked around, as it had got a hole in. Woah. I was feeling a little dehydrated by that point, and knew I needed all the fluids I had, but was anxious about drinking it all (500ml) in one go as this will usually give you some stomach problems, and at least give you a stitch. Still, I didn't know what else I could do, so downing it seemed the only option. Sure enough, this gave me a stitch that lasted for the next 5 miles, and after that point I really felt dehydrated and everything fell apart. Run/walked the last few miles, that path is a lot longer on the way back than it was on the way there, for sure! Eventually, Putney Bridge appeared through the mist! My Mum and my sister were there just before and provided much needed hugs before my last mile. Amazing, what other people believing in you can do. I ran  that last mile much faster than I had been doing. As I reached the end in Wandsworth Park, my  Mum and sister also got there. 27 miles (furthest I've run so far) 4.24.54. Way off my best, but still happy I did it. 




Still recovered pretty quick considering how tough I found it, which I'm happy for. Went to a little cafe for scrambled eggs and smoked salmon and hot tea treat after the end, which was exactly what the doctor ordered :-) Then back home. My sister has been training up to be a beauty therapist and she can do awesome deep tissue massage! Never had a massage after a race before, but I totally see what all the hype is about now, no stiffness or soreness at all the day after. I am definitely going to have them more often! And if you want a massage, I recommend my sister hugely! :-)

Thanks everyone for your support xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment