My Background

Thursday 3 October 2013

3 days left....till Number 12

It's nearly here! I think running marathons is genuinely addictive, can't wait :-D

So, training finished off for the week now:

Wed 2nd Oct: 7.54 miles, 8.57 min/mile, 67:17 mins, 641 kcal
Thurs 3rd Oct: 2.01 miles, 8:59 min/mile, 18:05 mins, 170 kcal

Nice run in the rain this evening, thanks for that weather.

Now to rest for a couple of days 


This morning at uni we used a program to calculate the energy the we ate in a day from a food diary. Yesterday I ate 1685 kcal in the proportions: 



The alcohol, I would like to point out, was a small glass of red wine, which was taken for medicinal purposes and to aid relaxation after a long day at uni (well, OK, just a day) and a tough run at running club. 

But, what I was most surprised at, is how little I ate. Technically I shouldn't start carb loading until today which is 3 days before the race, but it's always important to eat poperly, especially on running days. I know the analysis isn't 100% accurate, so I could have under/overestimated how much I ate a bit. 

I also calculated that my BMR is 1200 kcal / day, so that's how much energy the body needs just to do all the stuff it does to keep you working (like all the heart beats, and the breathing, and all the chemical reactions that go on inside you), and that is calculated as if you were lying down and doing nothing all day. So, then you also have to add on top of that the energy you need for all the activities you do in the day..... 

So, 1200 plus the kcal I burnt at running club (which is 641) = 1841 kcal that I used (and that's without energy used for walking around all the general things you do in a day, which would make that figure higher) which is more than I ate (1685).

Blah blah blah, booooooring! Well, skip all that, and basically I ate less than I used, which is pretty useless a few days before a long run, when you are supposed to have filled up your energy stores to get you through. So today and tomorrow and Saturday I need to be more careful and eat properly, I think that is the message.

So, I'm off to eat my second dinner......

No comments:

Post a Comment