My Background

Wednesday 9 October 2013

Marathon #12: The Chester Marathon - a great one!

Well, this was the penultimate marathon for 13 in 2013! I still can't believe that I got to this point already.

Was really excited about this one as was going with my Mum and Dad and Andrew, and also I've heard so many good things about it, and they were all proved to be right :-)

Up at 5.30 am on Sunday = ouch! But so worth it to see the sun rise on the way there. Beautiful. Got stuck in a traffic jam on the  way into Chester, marathons seem to be popular - there are about 5000 people running this one! So we had a quick sprint warm up from jumping out of the car to the start....

We started off with the 4 hour pace group. My aim was to do under 4 hours, but in the back of my mind I wanted to maybe go for my fastest time this year, but thought I'd take it easier to begin with and see how it was going at half way.


We started off by running around the race course, obviously as fast as horses, and then up into the old city of Chester round winding streets and beautiful old buildings. Then across the bridge, and off out of the city, and saw my Mum and Dad and Andrew's Mum too who were all there! Yeah!


The rest of the course was through the countryside, all the way to Wales! Really pretty scenery and amazing views. I felt quite stiff and not very fast for the first few miles, but gradually warmed up and started to feel good at about 10 miles or so. 

The support was so amazing! Even in the middle of the countryside we would round a bend and there would be a little crowd of people cheering us on! And people came out of their farm houses to watch too and they were all so friendly and cheering, it was really a wonderful experience :-)


At 17 miles I felt really good so decided to kick for home. Felt really good and focused for the next 5 miles, then began to worry that I might have pushed to soon as a couple of sloping hills came up and I my legs started to feel a bit tired. But, less than 4 miles to go, keep on it!

Got to 24 miles and realized I was comfortably under 4 hours, and that if I kept the pace steady I would make it back in less than 3:48, which is my fastest time this year. So that simultaneously cheered me up and stressed me out at the same time! Nothing like a bit of time pressure.

The last mile was along the river, and saw our supporting crew again (who had apparently spent the morning EATING BACON BUTTIES!!! SO not fair!)



Oh wow, just so many people lining the route on that last mile, I couldn't stop smiling, even though I was feeling really shaky all over including my face, so I probably looked like a right idiot! 



Round the last corner and there was the race course again! Had enough left for a bit of a sprint finish (relatively speaking, of course), and felt amazing to cross that line with the commentator shouting my name in front of all those people! 3:47:12 was my time, so the fastest time in 13 in 2013. Grand, really happy :-)

Andrew did 3:52 which is his second fastest time, and Kath and Bekki from my new running club were also there and did brilliant times too - well done to everyone :-)  !



Cup of tea and salt and vinegar crisps really help to make you feel better. Didn't want to leave at all, I wish we were still there now, it was such a brilliant day, thanks everyone :-D


1 comment:

  1. I quite agree Amy, it was a really brilliant day, couldn't believe how lucky we were with the weather, just like a Summer's day - and just for the record we didn't spend the whole time eating bacon butties - we walked round the city walls and dad found time for a rum and raisin ice cream!! It's all this talk of carb loading - we didn't want to be left out! I can't believe you've completed 12 marathons already. It only seems a few weeks ago we were all shivering at the start of the Belvoir Challenge! You have been amazing throughout and even the "toughies" haven't deterred you. True grit and determination. Aunty Earrinks would be very very proud of you!
    Mum xxx
    What was I saying about endurance regarding another recent matter ? ! Endurance has got you through 12 marathons so far and all the ones Mum and I have been to have been wonderful experiences, the venues, the atmosphere but most of all witnessing your determination and dedication. Well done to Andrew, too.
    Lots of love and respect,
    Dad XXX

    ReplyDelete