My Background

Saturday 14 December 2013

Miracles and things

Went for a short early morning run this morning along the canal. I was feeling quite stressed so was blasting out a few quick miles whilst listening loudly to Christmas songs “Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and AUUUULD LANG SYNE". Oh yeh! I saw a man running up ahead. He looked a serious runner type in a yellow race t-shirt, shorts (in December, yes) and a bum bag (in runnery-type circles, bum bags take on a whole new meaning from the dubious fashion statement of the 80s. Or was it the 90s? Or the 70s? Anyway. Serious runners who run a long way carry them to carry all sorts of energy and blister/ pain related relief). I called out "hello" as I went past.

“ARE YOU IN A RUNNING CLUB?” was the reply.

So I stopped and told him that well yes, I was, but it was one in Leeds as that’s where I’m staying most of the time at the moment.

“Oh well, someone has to” he replied (how rude – definitely a Lancashire chap then). “The reason that I shout at girls as they run past me is that I run with Chorley Athletic and Tri Club, and we need more girls to run in the league”. Glad that’s cleared up then.

“How far are you going this morning?” he asked.

I said I was doing a small loop around the canal, and asked where he was off to.

“I’ll tell you a story that will make you keep running” said he.

“Go on” said I.

“I died last year” was the reply.

“Oh” I said (but in my head, I thought... “I could have sworn that I woke up this morning and have had breakfast and even tried doing some revision, I couldn't possibly still be dreaming. Maybe I should poke him to check he’s real. But he’s right next to the canal; that might make him fall in. But then if he’s not real, would it matter if he did fall in? In fact if he’s not real, I probably wouldn't even be able to poke him so it wouldn't matter anyway. What should I DO??????”)

Fortunately, the ghost spoke, and solved my quandary “Yes. I had a cardiac arrest. I was dead, but the doctors managed to bring me back. Everyone tells me that I should take it easy, I've had two heart attacks, but you know what my cardiologist said? That if I hadn't been fit from running, I would not have got back up again to be standing here to tell you that I was dead. So I’ll keep on running, thank you very much.”

“Wow” I said, “What a tale to tell! What a privilege to have met such an inspiring person completely unexpectedly on my Saturday run. Truly amazing!”

“I’m not amazing” he said “there are people who have been through far worse , than me”.

Well OK maybe, I thought, although actually, dying is probably pretty high up on the list of bad stuff that can happen to you. But really, what a guy!

We chatted for a few more minutes, during which time he recommended the ‘Through the Villages’ race which occurs in November each year, which he cheerfully quipped was “8.45 miles of pure hell and makes the Royal Marines cry”. Well then, that’s a glittering recommendation if ever I heard one.


Then I ran home. To be honest I still wasn't utterly sure I was awake and that that conversation had really happened, so I had a cold shower and switched on the old internet to check if there was such as thing as the ‘Through the Villages’ race. 

There is. 2nd November next year. I’ll be there. 

I guess miracles do happen :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment