My Background

Monday 16 December 2013

Week 1: the beginning!

Today is the official beginning of my ultra-marathon training...WOOP!

The day dawned bright and warm and clear. No just kidding - it's Chorley in December. It was dark for most of the day, freezing and raining. Mmmmmmmm! 

I think in order to be able to successfully do this, I need to be strict and organised with myself and have a proper schedule to stick to. I did some research on ultra training, and lots of people say that you need to listen to your body and not stick religiously to a schedule, and adapt if it's not working. So, there is a compromise. I have the schedule I think I want to follow from now until April and I will post up here at the beginning of each week my schedule for that week, because once I tell people I'm going to do something, it makes me more likely to do it, to avoid appearing lazy :-) But then at the end of each week I will think about how I'm feeling before I decide on the training for the next week.

This is the first ultra I have done, so I want to record everything I do - all the training, including all the things that work, all the things that don't work, all the good times, and I am sure there will be some hard ones along the way too....

...so......this is the plan for Week 1!

Monday 16th Dec: 6 miles (middle 4 at 10 mile pace)
Tuesday 17th Dec: 5 miles easy jog
Wednesday 18th Dec: rest (for EXAM!)
Thursday 19th Dec: rest, with strength training
Friday 20th Dec: 7 miles (middle 3 at marathon pace)
Saturday 21st Dec: 90 minutes steady running
Sunday 22nd Dec: 90 minutes steady running

My first run this morning was quite unglamorous. Quite excited for the first mile which involved mostly running down a big hill, and was feeling that things felt easy. Reached bottom of hill and it flattened out and got harder, at the same time I was supposed to increase pace. Splashed through puddles along the canal for a while, and worried about all the miles of training ahead if I was finding mile 2 tough....



No comments:

Post a Comment