My Background

Saturday 2 March 2019

Marathon #101 - The Spring Marathon, 02.03.19

Well after my #100 I was feeling really down, and also last week was quite rubbish for a few reasons, which I suppose didn't help with that. So I thought, the best way to get over something is meant to be getting on top of something else.  That might be how to get over people, come to think of it, but that's a bit rude for on here, but then I've run heard too many Phoenix aid station jokes lately and seen too many giant willys run around tracks, so my mind is contaminated. Anyway, if the best way to get over something is to get on top of something else, then it was time for another run....

So, it was back to Walton-on-Thames for another Phoenix Run, the Spring Marathon. I woke up at 5, and felt pretty knackered, but also excited to be going back to Phoenix. Got the front upstairs seat on the bus again, which is the best thing, and there weren't even that many drunk people around London this morning at that time, so it was all very relaxing on the way to Waterloo. I was even early, and had time to get a new railcard, and have a second breakfast. Once at Walton, I was planning to walk to the start of the run from the station, which is 2.3 miles, but just as I was setting off, Tim magically ran up behind me, and offered me a lift - thank you!! So Tim, Ben, Katherine and I arrived at the start in plenty of time, so we relaxed for a while with Kerrilee, and there was time for a third breakfast, whilst all the other runners started to arrive. Lots of chats and smiles - everyone is so good at cheering each other up, I really appreciate it 😊 Always good to catch up and hugs with Kasia and Gemma, and am excited for Gemma running her first ever double this weekend, and Kasia's second in two weekends! 

Got to wear my new vest - it felt a bit weird putting it on the is morning, but I love it. Everyone was so nice about it today (even the accidentally giant letters for my name), and had lots of encouragement for marathon #101. It may very well be the most expensive vest in the world, but it's 100% worth it. 

I loved the run today. The weather was great again, and it felt good to be gilding through the fresh air, surrounded by blue sky and blossom, and lovely runners. Lots and lots of familiar faces out there today, and met lots of new ones too, and it was lovely to see everyone. I loved the route as well, it was the big loop up to Hampton Court and back x 4 for the marathon. I usually prefer the other way along the towpath, but after having had a pep talk from Ben at the start, as to why this way was better, I decided to go at it with an open mind, and I think he was right, as it was a perfect route today. Great aid stations as well, and Jen and Davo at the Hampton Court end dishing out smiles and motivation 😁 Also, a lovely bunch of people sat outside the pub by the start/finish turnaround point who were brilliant. 

I ran a bit faster than normal for me today. I was thinking about why. I was running away from the last week I suppose, and I thought if I ran faster, it would go away quicker. And, I'm not running tomorrow, so I didn't care if my legs hurt. And, I also think maybe I was just feeling a bit more relaxed about stuff now I've done 100, like if I ran too fast and couldn't finish, then no one would really mind, and probably most of all, I didn't mind, so much. And, I really needed a wee from about 3 miles in. I think needing a wee was the main one. 

I felt really good for the first two laps, then had a bit of a blip for the first 1/2 of lap three, but a (big) handful of jelly beans seemed to help, and then I felt fine again for the rest of it. I did 3:50, and I haven't run under 4 hours in almost 3 years, and didn't think I still could, so I was quite surprised by myself.

Great to stick around at the end, the aid station there was like a party with some cracking tunes, and see plenty of runners cross the line....brilliant running from everyone today, all great achievements, and well done all. 7 people ran their first marathon today, and I got chatting to one of them at the end - it's so exciting, #1 - what an exciting time and brilliant achievement. 

Thank you Rik and marshalls, and runners, and supporters - I am feeling much better after today 😊😊😊


Thought I should continue with getting on top of people things, so have booked in some more runs:
09.03.19 - Thames Meander Marathon
16.03.19 - Doh Nut Run
23.03.19 - Despicable Me Run
06.04.19 - The Woldsman Returns 50 miles
13.04.19 - 22.04.19 - 10 in 10
....need some more in May...
Then 25.05.19 The Hadrian Hundred (😲)

No comments:

Post a Comment