My Background

Sunday 24 March 2019

Despicable Run - Marathon #104, 23.03.19


The Despicable Run was aptly named, as that was how I felt for most of it. After being all zen and mindful last week, and making progress with working on scrapping my habit of tending to believe that good things happening must be followed by bad things, I am ashamed to say that I have taken a giant steps backwards this week. 

It started with missing the bus. Then all the trains to Egham were cancelled. I managed to hop on the one remaining train that was delayed rather than cancelled and was going to Staines, which was further away from the race than Egham was, but still within walking distance of the start, so on the plus side got in an extra 2.5 miles jog in before the run. Actually made it to the start with a bit of spare time, so first panic over. And lots of people there I knew, and you know, everything always feels better once you're at the start of the race, early in the morning, and a whole day of running and friends is before you.

I'd decided today to try to do 50 km, as I didn't think I could do another faster marathon like the last few weeks, and I have a 50 miler in a couple of weeks and haven't run further than a marathon in a few weeks so was a bit worried. I was just all over the place though today, and couldn't stay focused on what I was doing, plus I don't have a watch so didn't know how fast I was running. So ended up doing the first half in 2 hours which wasn't the plan, and I suppose went some way to explaining why I was finding it hard. Thank you everyone for the smiles on the way round, and Craig for putting up with me again and helping me through - tough times are always made better by friends. I'm sure no one realises just how much a smile/ hug/ high five/ good chat lifts me! I didn't feel too much like carrying on to do the 50 km, but I made myself do it, and I was glad that I did what I said I would do.

I seemed to be in company in having a tough day today though. People were falling over all over the place, birds were pooing on people, everything seemed to be falling apart. Hope everyone's alright after all the incidents, and no lasting damage has ensued. 

As well, this is also a dreadful blog, as I also can't focus on writing anything decent, for which I apologize. I found something exciting though, about an actual proper writer. There's a cafe in Egham called Egham on Toast, which always makes me think of Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss, but always assumed it was just a coincidence. But! In WW2 US author Theodore Seuss Geisel (Dr Suess!) was stationed in Egham, working on a propaganda film, but was unhappy in his temporary abode.  Fight Sergeant Sam Beckinsale, Dr Seuss's host, tried to help by pointing to the benefits of the local area, such as how nice and green it was, yet Dr Seuss was nonplussed, stating "I do not like green Egham". Apparently, it was the inspiration for his later book Green Eggs and Ham, and the line in it - "I do not like them Sam, I am. I do not like green eggs and ham."

Although it was tough, and I've been moaning a bit, today was actually really good, and Saturn always put on brilliant events, and today was no exception. Thanks to George and Charlotte of Saturn Running, and to the brilliant volunteers, and the aid station that I'm sure gets bigger every time! Well done everyone today!

And on the plus side, I suppose after a run of bad stuff, then that means good stuff is going to happen again, right. Demonstrated by my medal (and either Kevin, Bob, or Stuart minion)...one moment you may be here....


and the next, here!


I love my medal, and I guess the medals that feel like harder work, you feel a bit more attached to. And, as the minions say.... BANANA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment