My Background

Sunday 10 March 2019

Running (The Thames Meander, Marathon #102) and watching running

Done this marathon 7 times before, and have been consistent in the sense that I've completely messed it up all 7 times; falling over on two of them and getting an injury, and making myself sick the other 5 times, so I'd decided it would be a good idea to enter it again.....

Luckily this time around was much better, thanks to who I was running with, who are much better at these things than me - thanks Craig, Ray and Anthony for the company. It was a fun run today, and I really enjoyed it. The end was a bit tough, you have to go past the finish, and then do another about 1.5 mile loop, which hurt a bit, but then it's a marathon so I suppose it should do. It was really windy, and the Thames is really wiggly, so one moment it seemed the wind was behind, then in front, then the side, and then all the directions all over again. I've always found this run a bit competitive and haven't really known that many people there, so it was nice today to see lots of people I knew there, and it felt more relaxed. Thanks Craig for running with me today, and for helping me round in 3:54 - I don't think times matter so much because we're all different, and even ourselves are different on different days - but I feel a bit more confident to know that I can still do times like I did before, and to be able to enjoy a run at that pace. 


Got to say a massive well done to all my friends who ran the SVN Samphire 100 this weekend. Absolutely brilliant, the lot of you!!! The weather was tough this weekend, and 100 miles is not easy, especially not in that. Very proud of everyone, and feeling inspired by you all.

Today I went to support my friend Sarah run the Vitality Big Half, a half marathon around London. Was brilliant fun, cheering people on. I get quite emotional seeing things like this, so many people pushing themselves to achieve things. Managed to see Sarah twice, at about 8 and 11 miles, on the bit of the route south of the river near Rotherhithe/ Surrey Quays. Sarah was pretty close in the field to Kerry, so saw Kerry twice too which was a bonus - two days in a weekend, and twice in a day (I will stop stalking you now!) Well done both, am so proud of you!

Just before I saw Sarah at 11 miles, I was standing by a marshal, and a runner who was looking absolutely amazing, suddenly ran over to the marshal and burst into tears. I think she was overwhelmed by it all, she was really sobbing. I was heartbroken! The marshal, the lady next to me, and me, all did hugs and words, and in a minute or so, she set off again - on the last 2 miles, I knew she could do it, and I hope she did, and that she was proud of herself for doing so. It just goes to show, you can never tell what someone is thinking from looking at them. And it also shows, as I have experienced many a time, that you shouldn't worry about showing your emotions, because when people know what you're feeling, they can help you with it. I hope she remembers what we said to her, that she was amazing, because she is, and she did so well.

As did everyone this weekend on their different challenges - both official events, and un-official ones, there was a lot going on - well done all 😊 xxx

4 comments:

  1. Well done for another sub 4 minute marathon ! Yes, was a good idea to keep bashing away despite previous setbacks - shows great strength, determination and sheer bloody-mindedness ! One of my mantras again - No surrender. Victory at all costs ! Hope that lady runner reads your blog and is inspired and strengthened by it. XXX DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day you run a sub MINUTE marathon will be ground and body breaking ! I was thinking of the 4 minute mile barrier in athletic history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done anything in 4 minutes! 😂 Thanks! Yes! Never give up, hey, never!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you have. A soft boiled egg takes 4 minutes !!!

    ReplyDelete