My Background

Monday 18 March 2019

Marathon #103 - The Doh'Nut Run, 16.03.2019



Back to the Thames for a windy run near Reading, the Doh’Nut Run, with Saturn Running. Feeling a bit forlorn, the trees outside our house got cut down, and whilst I was having breakfast (#1) I was watching the magpies that used to sit in the tree and look in the window, walking around in circles where their tree used to be. In one moment, their world had totally changed. I think I was tired, and a bit emotional, and maybe a bit hormonal, but it all seemed very sad.


Still, I suppose there were two, and that means ‘joy’ I think, in the poem “one for sorrow, two for joy…..”

As there were no longer any trees to look at, I was unable to check the wind forecast from the looking out of the window, but as soon as I went outside, it was clear that Storm Gareth was still hanging on. Made it to Paddington for breakfast (#2), and got the train to Reading where met up with Kasia and Craig to walk along the river to the start. Lots of time to catch up with friends in the warmth of the rowing club, and have a quick breakfast #3.

But, the start could not be put off, and we must brave the wind. Blimey. Doughnuts, cups, sweets were flying off the aid station in all directions. I caught a cinnamon bun mid air, for breakfast #4.

Ran with Craig, and the first half also with Paul who was fresh from the SVN 100 only a week ago. Likewise Sarah, Jon, Kat and other brave souls had also conquered the 100 mile beast last weekend. I am so in awe, and inspired by you all. For doing it, obviously, and also for running so brilliantly so soon after. I didn’t run properly for about 3 months after the last 100 I did, I am so crap, but you have all forced me think that it is possible, to conquer it, and come out of it strong. Well done all!

It was quite tough running today. I felt a bit tired, I ran the last two marathons faster than I have been used to, and I think I felt it today as it seemed a bit harder. The wind was also a beast – well, it was a lapped run, so ½ of each lap was nice, as the wind was behind us, but about a ¼ of the lap didn’t have much shelter so on the way back it felt like someone was pushing you backwards running into that wind. Still, good training I guess. Despite the wind, today was a lot of fun, and did we 3.56.

The wind was the name of the game, as on the way home I almost got hit by a For Sale sign that got blown off a building and landed right in front of me. I was still a bit emotional, I think, and now even more tired as I had just run a marathon, but my mind can get quite carried away in these moments - thinking of all the maybe not so good things that happened in the week, and this is just another one…. I might have a had a good day at the marathon, but this was a sign (literally) that the universe was giving me that I shouldn’t get used to good things. But, as I am realising, this is a very unhelpful thought pattern. I have started doing mindfulness exercises - not very many, but I have got an app, and manage sometimes actually to do a meditation exercise for 3 whole minutes in the morning before work, instead of freaking out about all the things I have to do and all the things that I’ve probably done wrong yesterday etc etc etc, it feels a bit odd to focus just on this moment, and that nothing is going wrong right now…..

I’m finding it quite useful for running too, and I think is partly why I’ve been feeling more relaxed since I did 100. I’ve always, despite having lots of practice at running, had a tenancy to be a bit stuck on things, if I’m having a bad patch in a run, my mind (if not my feet) races off and before I know it I’ve convinced myself the rest of the run will be the same. I know this not to be true – runs are like waves, they go up and down - but it’s amazing really, how ingrained your thought processes become. It’s really hard to change, but I’m finding it quite liberating to try, and give yourself permission to ignore those thoughts. So, I will keep on trying, not fixating on what just happened (like, maybe I tripped on a rock), or what might happen (so, I will probably trip on another one) and think instead that right now I'm not tripping over anything, and actually, right now it's OK.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment - Buddha. #quotes #life

Thanks everyone for a great run today, and well done all! Big well done to Kasia who nailed #88 💜 Thank you George and Charlotte at Saturn Running and all the volunteers for a top class event!

No comments:

Post a Comment