My Background

Sunday 20 October 2019

52 Marathons in 52 Weeks ... all done!


Today (20.10.19) was back down to the river near Reading, with Saturn Running, for the Zoolanders Run, for marathon #52 of 52 in 52 weeks....

It didn't go entirely smoothly.... I enjoyed the first lap which I ran with Richard, but then had a right nightmare for the next 3 laps, felt sick and had stomach cramps, so didn't eat anything and then ran out of energy and felt dizzy. I gave myself a talking to at the end of lap 4, that if I didn't get out of this rut and eat something, this was going to get worse! So had some coke and some cookie, and fortunately I started to feel better again soon after, so enjoyed the second half more, so at least I wasn't a complete disaster!

Thank you so much George and Saturn for making it special, from the really nice announcement George made at the start about my 52 marathons, to all the encouragement at the aid station, and all the kind words and support!



Now I have a vague sense of emptiness, which always happens at these moments, when I have achieved a goal I set myself. I have started some therapy for my depression recently, which is proving to be very helpful, and I'm really glad I started it. My constant sensation of feeling like I've not achieved enough, and instantly comparing myself to others who have done other things, and immediately setting another goal, is something I have been exploring. I am meant to be validating my experiences/ acheivements out loud, and stop and think about it, instead of moving straight on the something else. This thought makes me feel a bit cringey to be honest, but I'm trying to be a good patient and do my homework, so here goes, I guess.....

I've tried not to worry about what I'll do next, and instead look back at this journey, and realise what a great ride it's been, and how lucky I am to have had a year full of new experiences. I did 1579.1 official miles altogether, plus probably quite a few extra free miles, due to navigational issues (a.k.a. being lost), including 14 ultras. 33 of the runs the were along the Thames! Along the way I completed my 100th marathon, did my first 10 marathons in 10 days, and did my new PB for 100 miles. I made loads of new friends, and explored some new places. And, very special to me, we (thank you for all your support!) raised over £1200 for The Royal Marsden and Pelican Cancer Foundation in support of my dear friend Hannah (who will always continue to be my inspiration and my hero), when I did my Running for HANNAH Challenge in the summer.

Other things of note, I got better (well, a bit better - I'm not going to get carried away with this validating myself malarky) at map reading and using a compass, so maybe my 'bonus miles' will start to reduce now. Or maybe not. I was lucky to celebrate with others on their own different journeys, had my first shots of vodka during a marathon, followed up shortly by my first trip to a pub during a marathon (although, I've gone back to just drinking water now, and coke in emergencies). 

I got many opportunities to be in that special moment, very early in the morning in London, on the way to a race, the quiet moment before the city wakes and it's still dark, when the promise of a new day and the adventure that awaits is in the still air (well, if you can block out/ navigate the drunk people swaying home from the night before). And I love that feeling at the end of a day of running, when you're totally knackered and hurting, but it's a good feeling, becuase you did something you wanted to do! 

OK. That's enough validating myself for a first attempt. I found that easier than I thought, once I got going. Don't want to get too carried away....

...so back to today.... Thanks a million to all the other runners who were so kind and supportive all the way around, and shared laps, hugs, words of support and smiles - you are all brilliant, and it was perfect to spend #52 with you all! And thanks again to Saturn for an extra special day. And I love my new Saturn buff! Today was a really great day 😁





Going to chill out for a couple of weeks, then my next marathon is Athens, which I'm really excited for.... 

...I know I'm not meant to be jumping straight in to the next thing (but let's be realistic...a lifetime of a habit isn't going to change overnight), but international marathons are definitely something I want to do more of... plus, I want to complete my A-Z of marathons, of which I still need Q and Y..... and then there's......

OK. Sorry. Enough. For now....

52 in 52 - I did it! 😊😊😊

No comments:

Post a Comment