My Background

Sunday 6 October 2019

The Great Barrow Challenge, Autumn Double Marathon Day 2, 06.10.2019


Today it became clear why these runs are called Great Barrow Challenges, not just Great Barrow Runs! Same course as yesterday, but not the same weather. Which was terrible!!! Torrential rain for most of it, and parts of the course were totally submerged in water. Through the forest part, I wished I had my head torch, such was the gloom of the morning, and by the last lap the wind had whipped up to epic proportions.

I found it pretty tough, and I was a bit slower than yesterday, but hey, some runs are tough, but that's OK, because this is a challenge after all! And, although my body was chilled, my heart was warmed with the good cheer and support of the other runners and the marshals. Ducking under the gazebo at the end of each lap to shelter from the rain, and have some laughs and sweets was fun, and lifted me up enough to head out on the next lap....

Plus, getting really cold and wet, makes putting on dry clothes and having hot tea and a nice sandwich from the fabulous lady in the cafe, and laughing about the dreadful weather with everyone, seem like the best thing ever. To be warm and dry again is indeed heaven!

Despite the challenges of today, I absolutely loved this weekend, and my first outing with Suffolk Running Centre/ Great Barrow Challenge. Definitely going to be coming back!

So, that's 50 done of my 52 marathons in 52 weeks challenge. Still have three weeks left, so I think I can do it now. Hopefully I'll do #51 and #52 in two weekends time at Saturn Running.....

No comments:

Post a Comment