My Background

Saturday 5 October 2019

The Great Barrow Challenge - Autumn Double Marathon, day #1 05.10.2019


Today was my first event with Great Barrow Challenge/ Suffolk Running Centre. I'd heard really good things about these events, but hadn't done one before, as they aren't easy to get to from home on public transport, and I hate driving after races when you're all tired and stiff.  Well, I hate driving anyway, but especially then. But, thanks to Jon for my prize of a race place with GBC in his charity prize draw, I was galvanised into making myself get there, and I'm really pleased I did, as it was a really great day!

Almost didn't make it, as the car broke on the way, which was quite stressful at the time, but I now appreciate that as I wasn't travelling by public transport, and so didn't have anything to add to my regular "complain about public transport" section of my blog, that the car was just helping me to give me something to talk about. Turns out it's OK, it's wheels were misaligned (don't we all know that feeling) and the tyres were unevenly worn. Thanks Andrew for being there, and knowing everything there is to know about cars. I would still be crying somewhere in a lay-by on the A11 had it been left to me. Told you I hate driving. 

I'm always a bit nervous at a new race, and not knowing anyone, but there was no need. The team were so friendly, and there were several familiar faces running today as well, so I felt right at home at the start, which is really well set up at the Suffolk Academy, with registration, a cafe, toilets, campsite, and even a hairdressers on site. And even a gym, for that post marathon workout. 

The runs start just outside of Barrow, and this weekend the runs are 6.55 mile laps, 4 for a marathon. Laps 1 + 3 go in one direction (yellow arrows) and laps 2 + 4 the other direction (red arrows). I found that set up really good, alternating the direction of the laps made them feel completely different, plus you could see the other runners all the way around so it was nice and sociable too. The routes were along tiny roads and on trails, and were easy to run along, although there were several "undulations" each lap. Undulations is a pointless word I think, we all know it means "hills". So, it was a good challenge, and I felt like it was a very good workout, with nice views all around.



Even though some of the route was on roads, they were very small and quiet, and the cars that were around were all very considerate. I was a bit alarmed when a big convoy of 4X4s turned up just as I was about to start on my next ascent of one of the hilly (undulating) bits, and men dressed in shooting gear all got out. One even wound down his window, and smiled at me, and then started tapping his watch, which was puzzling. I was anxious he meant if I didn't speed up, he was going to start shooting at me, so I then completed my fastest hill of the day.

Turing around and starting on lap 3, I was minding my own business, running by the side of the road, when a **** in a car shot by, ignoring all the "slow down runners in road signs" and beeped at me to move out of the way. I didn't, of course, because I was right and he was wrong. So I gave him evils at him all the way as he drove down the hill beeping away at other runners. I was going to run after him and throw jelly babies at his back windscreen, but I was was worried he was on the way to the shoot and might be armed, so I left it. Plus, it would have been a waste of jelly babies.

Honestly, some people.

A minute later, a massive shiny 4X4 with the number plate MI6 something or other drove past. Oooh. Maybe he was after **** face up ahead, which would explain his reckless speed! He must be a spy, a member of the shooting party must be holding a secret, and he was trying to reach them, before their cover could be blown!

Fortunately, it was now well over half way, so there was limited time to make up too many further far fetched stories. I felt great on the last lap, and loved the finish, and getting to meet everyone there, and refuel with delicious food and cups of tea in the the cafe.

Thanks GBC, the marshals and the other runners for a fab day. Looking forward to tomorrow!


1 comment:

  1. We were very happy you made the trip to see us Amy! Your smiley face kept us all going back at base at times :) it works both ways you know :) . We hope to see you again - and love the blog! Julie, Suffolk Running Centre

    ReplyDelete