My Background

Sunday 8 December 2019

Band of Runners Christmas Run & Robs 100th Marathon, Marcothon Days 4, 5, 6 & 7

Got back at 02.30 this morning after a 21 hour party. Quite tired. All behind on this week's blog, so I will write it backwards. 

Golb.

Day 7: Saturday - Band of Runners Christmas Party / Robs 100th Marathon
Very, very excited for today's run with Phoenix! Ages since I've been down on the towpath and I miss everyone, and couldn't wait to catch up. Plus it was Rob's 100th marathon today, and the Band of Runners Christmas Marathon, and After Party. 

What a day, easily the best Christmas party! Plenty of running, lots of friends, sunshine, happiness, cake (the most beautiful cake I've seen), snacks, and a never empty cup! Lucky to run the whole way (29.5 miles) with Sarah and Jon, plus the last half with Rob and an ever growing Band of Runners. So good to chat and catch up with everyone, sing, and laugh the way around the towpath. One of the best runs! Congratulations Rob on your 💯 ! Absolutely brilliant, and the size of the crowd at the end to watch the presentation just goes to show what a legend Rob is!





After that, it was to the pub to begin on the import task of celebrating, before heading over to the Band of Runners Christmas party at the rugby club in Hersham. I walked in, and initially thought I'd come to the wrong place, as it's so wierd to see your running friends not wearing running gear, and with hair all dried properly, I almost didn't recognise anyone. And also strange, but good strange, to be able to talk to people whilst not running! After the simply stunning and tuneful kareoke performances, some of The Band of Runners are probably going to be lost to running, whilst they form an actual band....but hopefully not too many....

So good was the party, that I somehow managed to miss the last train. I was sure I'd checked. But on looking at my search afterwards, what I had actually checked was trains from Walton-on-Thames. Which wasn't where I was.

Oh. An Uber and two buses and a walk in the rain followed, involving passing through Clapham at 01:30am, which looked remarkablely similar to a checkpoint on a Hundred at that time of the proceedings .... people swaying all over the place, talking nonsense, and throwing up. I beat a hasty retreat on the N87 bus, which wasn't very much better, and was like the Body Bus on the Hundred, with people drapped, unconscious, over seats. I thought I might as well join in with pretending that I was on an overnight running event, I was feeling as tired after all, and cracked open my Freddo Christmas tin, (thanks Rik!) and had a midnight feast.

Day 6: Friday
I've noticed my error in doing golb, not a blog, in that the rest of the weeks running wasn't really as exciting as that, so the rest of this is going to be a massive disappointment.

Friday morning I was feeling quite motivated to get up early. Well, that, and the fact that I couldn't run later because it was my work Christmas party, so the motivation was a bit forced upon me.

The weather had taken a turn. It was like some kind of tropical storm had hit. I opened the door into the darkness, and the wind was whipping all the leaves around the square, raindrops the size of snooker balls were flying around, and it was bizarrely warm. 

Squeezed in a 5km, down to Brick Lane and back. I like Brick Lane, especially when it's not really busy. It has a 24 hour Bagel Shop, which I never really believe was actually open 24 hours, but it was before 7 when I got down there and it was open, so maybe it's true. I peered through the steaming window at the rows of hot bagels and cakes. It felt like about time for breakfast....

...but sadly, I hadn't brought any money, so the running streak continued.... 

Day 5: Thursday
Woke up late, so had to run, (literally) to work (5km). Then I felt like I needed another run, so ran home as well (not straight away, although it was tempting). It wasn't very exciting really, but hey.

Day 4: Wednesday
5km to yoga. This was even less exciting, if that is possible. Next week, I'll try to make the golb more exciting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment