My Background

Sunday 26 September 2021

The Zombie Run marathon, SVN, 25.09.2021 (#173)

A day in the bright sunshine by the seaside, not bad for England in September, hey! Had another chat-athon with Sarah and Andrew, and the marathon got done as well!

The route was the "usual" Samphire Hoe route, which I've never actually done yet, as if the weather is too bad, a different route is used (because you can't go along the sea wall in bad weather). I really loved it! An undulating trail bit to start with, then a nice downhill bit past the pond, and the cows and sheep. Then it was down to the beach and along the sea wall (saw some people finish the channel swim), watching the ships and yachts shimmering in the sunshine, and the fishermen, to turn around at the cone of doom, then back to the beach. Up the hill, past the Eurostar track, up Tellytubby Hill, and back down to the aid station.

Today was all about lovely Lou who did her 100th marathon = much hugs, cake and fun! Congratulations Lou - you are so fabulous!


In honour of the Zombie run, Andrew and I painted our nails....
 

Thank you Andrew and Sarah for putting up with me yet again (3 weekends in a row!)

We also found a collapsed deer. Deery me! Doe-n't worry, it was made of wicker, and was laying in the grass for the first couple of laps, but had recovered and was standing again by lap 3. About lap 7 it had disappeared. Probably off on a stag do. At the end, one of the Samphire Hoe rangers walked over, holding the deer under his arm. Turns out, they teach children's classes here, about how things used to work when we had to track/catch our own food etc, but they can't use real deer for that, so that's why there is a wicker one hanging around the place. 

Although I had the best day, it hurt quite a lot. I must have pulled something in my right calf last week when I fell over at Denbies. I hadn't really noticed it much since, I've been more worried about my left leg, which I landed on, and has some big bruises (have been gradually moving through the rainbow during the week, and are now a nice shade of purple - my favourite!) and cuts. I think when I fell, it was actually because I went over on my right ankle on a rock, and I remember it hurting in my calf for a couple of laps after, but then it eased off. It was OK walking and running in the week, but in lap 2, I suddenly felt it tighten and become sore, and then each step (the part when I lifted my leg) it was really sore. After I stopped, I couldn't stand on it properly for a few hours. I've never (and I know I am lucky) had a problem like this before, so I did the only thing I knew to do, and have been panicking ever since. I have some events coming up the next few weekends that I really want to do so much, I can't believe I've been such an idiot to get injured like this - I mean, falling over while running round a vineyard without even having a sip of wine, what an absolute twit!! 

I was meant to run again today at the Mordor Run, but was gutted that I couldn't. I had an awesome day hanging round the aid station instead, with Traviss, Rachel and Karen (thank you all for putting up with me all morning!!) with chats, hugs, laughs, winding Andrew up each lap, cakes, seeing how much work is involved from the side of putting on an event, and cheering on everyone coming through each lap. Well done Andrew who put in a storming effort and did an amazing time, which was thanks, no doubt, to our endless encouragement and support!

I hope I've just pulled something, and some rest and spending some time (hopefully, not too much, i.e. only until Friday) with some frozen peas wrapped around my leg will sort it out, and that I haven't ripped my muscle in half or anything. This hasn't stopped me being stressed out about it all night and day, giving myself a migraine in the process, and blowing things out of all proportion about how bad it probably might actually well be. Deer oh deer - apologies for my self indulgent, drama queen moment. I am being a pea-Madonna.




No comments:

Post a Comment