My Background

Monday 13 December 2021

Band of Runners Rocking Around the Christmas Track with Zig Zag Running, 12.12.2021 (marathon #190)

My first marathon on an athletics track.

I don't have particularly positive memories of athletics tracks. At school when running on the track, I was either being shouted at, or beating myself up internally that I was getting shouted at and that I wasn't good enough. And in track sessions with my old running clubs....pretty much the same. Although, in fairness, by that point it was probably my earlier memories and perception of what people thought about me, rather than what actually was real. 

Consequently, it is difficult to express quite how much I was looking forward to 105.5 x 400m laps of this! Particularly after a fabulous cheese and wine evening with the lovely Rob (and wee Zico - thank you guys for the best night!) the night before, and having 3 hours sleep....

I think it's fair to say that I probably found today the toughest of any day of running for at least the last several years. Afterwards, I felt quite upset about this. But on reflection, that's OK. Not every day, or even every period of time, can be a good one.

Plus, even on tough days, it's wonderful to be surrounded by friends old and new. Thanks Sarah and Andrew for running round in circles! And Gavin, who I was lucky to spend a good few miles talking to for the first time, and I enjoyed hearing his running journey and stories - an inspiration for sure. And everyone else on the way round too, so many friends there today for the Band of Runners Christmas Marathon! Aside from the bits of being on the track today that I found difficult (long list below), surely the biggest positive is that your friends are within sight at all times! It was fun to see a sea of assorted colours of Santa hats bobbing around the track, and Band of Runners shirts! And thank you to the most convincing Santa (aka Rik) for the on track surprise Freddo! I will also remember whooping, singing, blowing kisses, and ne-oooring (racing car noise, not sure how to spell it) when aligning with certain people! Plus hearing Christmas party music blaring each time we passed the timing mat, throwing in some dance moves, and resisting jumping in the water pit for the steeple chase each lap.



I suppose there were a few things that made it hard:
1. Clearly, I am no longer cut out for Christmas partying and marathoning within 12 hours of each other (in that order anyway, the other way around is still within my capabilities). 
2. I should never be so stupid as to wear cheap non-running trainers to run a marathon in, just because my other shoes need replacing but I didn't have time to get new ones yet, and it's "on a track, so the surface must be nice". If I ever read this in years to come, let this be the message to my future self - please, never do this again!!! I have taken a photo of my feet as evidence for the future, but will spare you seeing it. Around 1/4 of the bottom of my left foot was a blood filled blister, and the right foot wasn't much better. It hurt to run from about 3 miles in, and I was miserable about this - I am sorry to my fellow running partners, who probably also ended up feeling miserable due to spending so long with miserable me. 
3. I think I am still tired from last week's 10 in 10, although I felt like I was, or felt like I should, be OK from it.
4. I also think I still have some way to go to stop comparing myself to others, and probably myself as well, in some ways. That's an easy thing for me to fall in to, and I have lately, and being on a track where you can constantly see others, and your place on the track, and your time, made it even more apparent for me. I might not be at my best right now, despite trying hard, but that's OK, really. We are all floating along through life on a sea, and must ride the waves up and down, and accept that not all waves will be up waves. Waves are a terrible comparison for me, as I am terrified of the sea. I can just about bear the thought of being in the wave pool at Center Parcs, but that's about it.

Still, I will have another opportunity to try to conquer the track at the Phoenix Track 24 in March!

And I have a very riveting Garmin route to look at.


And of course, I will remember the positives and forget the bad bits within about another day anyway (once I can stand on my feet again and stop being reminded of it). And I bagged another event without a fall - that's 13 in a row now! And all within a month, so both the achievement of remaining upright for this long, and the number of events in a month, are both records for me. 

It was my first event with Zig Zag Running, and I will be looking forward to doing some more of their events, especially the trail ones. Lovely and friendly and well organized, and afterwards there were hot drinks and cakes for everyone - I really enjoyed the whole atmosphere. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment