My Background

Friday 31 December 2021

Frozen Phoenix Days 1 & 2, Marathons #193 & #194

A running mini break, between Christmas and New Year breaks! 

Two Phoenix marathons along the river down at Walton on Thames

Wednesday 29.12.2021: Frozen Phoenix Day 1 (#194)

An early start to catch the number 26 bus and a train to Walton and walk to the start at the Wier Pub. Still dark walking along the river! Andrew and me met Sarah, and so commenced chat-athon Day 1. It was rainy and muddy on the towpath today, but if you can't have a bit of rain and mid in deepest darkest December, when can you? 

Today was my 50th event with Phoenix Running. My first events with them were my first ever double marathon weekend in November 2016. Thanks Rik and Phoenix for 50 fun days since then, and for my gold wings and permabib!

Rik has also introduced marathon batons for people who celebrate their 100th marathon at a Phoenix event, and Sarah and I collected ours today. They are very lovely, even if it does bring back memories of dropping the baton on the leg 3-4 handover in the 4 x 100m relay in Year 11 sports day in front of the whole school. 

Blue Bridge route today, which is my favourite. Especially the bit by Walton Bridge which is full of birds. 

Very beautiful by the river in the winter light.

Afterwards, I walked into Walton to try to find some lateral flow tests. This was unsuccessful (it's becoming a bit impossible, and I don't know how I'm meant to go to work safely). So instead I got some nail polish (because if you can't stick things up your nose, at least you should paint your nails) and went to M+S. Then I walked to the hotel, had an M+S picnic, painted my nails, enjoyed standing on the heated floor in the bathroom, and started reading The Psychopath Test (because you can never be too careful about these things). 

Thursday 30.12.2021: Frozen Phoenix Day 2 (#194)

Another chat-athon along the blue bridge route with Sarah and Andrew. So mild for December, no rain today, and less mud! One of the boat houses was being cleared out, and it was interesting to watch the progress each lap, which sounds less exciting writing about than it seemed at time time. Many scenarios were hypothesised including there being an original Monet hidden at the back, and it was actually a daylight robbery. This theory was strengthened by a neighbour recording the whole thing from a nearby garden.

Christmas party with Sarah, Jon and Andrew in the Wier Pub afterwards. Thanks Sarah for my penguins! Many penguin jokes followed, just for the halibut (thanks Mark!). Next time you see Andrew, ask him his seagul joke. You won't be  disappointed. I promise.

Loved having a couple of days pottering along the Thames, waving at the Weir and eating pik and mix, to round off the year. Thanks Rik and Phoenix! It was brilliant to see everyone, and big well done to all runners.


And so, it is the last day of 2021. Another strange one, hey! But a good one running wise with 55 marathons/ultras - 40 "official events" and 15 "unofficial ones". All of them different, and all of them great adventures with great friends, and for that, I am very lucky indeed!

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year, and hoping 2022 will be a good one for all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment